Bricking up an external doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i will be bricking up an external doorway hopefully this weekend, but just want to make sure im doing everything right. i plan on bricking up using thermalite blocks, am i right in thinking that i will need to tie these in at every other brick height with these frame ties to the existing bricks where the doorframe was - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/91531/Building/Builders-Metalwork/Safe-End-Frame-Tie-100mm-Pack-of-10
and at what level of the bricks should i use the DPC (If needed at all??) http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25271/Building/Damp-Proof/Damp-Proof-Course-100mm.
The external side will be rendered.

Sponsored Links
and at what level of the bricks should i use the DPC

At the same level as the existing one!

Don't forget to use engineering bricks below DPC and your render should not go lower than the DPC -use a belcast bead.

The other stuff is correct

regarding the frame ties should these be drilled into existing brickwork before anything is laid and is it a case of one of the ends sitting on the block and then the mortar going on top of it. Sorry if this is a stupid question as you can probably tell this is my first time bricklaying. Thanks

Sponsored Links
put some expanded metal mesh across the joins before you render to help reduce or hopefully eliminate cracking.

Sorry to be a pain, but after i have driled the holes for the frame ties and put the wall plugs in, what is the best type of screw to use or will any do?

I also forgot to mention that it is a cavity wall so i presume i will need to use wall ties at every other level too to tie in with the 2nd wall (if this makes sense)

Use stainless steel screws, and yes a few ties would be a good idea.

Is the rest of the cavity insulated? if so it is important to match that insulation in order to avoid a cold spot.

Just use any nr 10 screw at 1 and 1/2 or 2". Galvanised will do

You don't really need any ties across the cavity for this narrow opening - its being held at each end, and this is only an infill panel of no structural significance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back