Replacing F&E tank in loft with expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
To reduce the number of pipes going to the loft, I want to remove the F&E tank in the loft and replace it with an expansion vessel.
My current system is a standard open vented setup using a fairly old Stelrad CF40/60 boiler which I assume is around 60000btu

I would like to know -

1. Will an expansion vessel work with this boiler ? What size would be recommended ?

2. Are there any restrictions on where the exp. vessel can be installed. Can I put the exp. vessel in the loft where the F&E tank was ?

3. Are there any disadvantages (apart from cost) ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards

Sponsored Links
I've just phoned up Ideal boilers, and they've just verified the old boiler I have is a series 1, which isnt approved for unvented operation - Damn
:(
Ah well, it's probably saved me £100 ! Just have to put up with the couple of extra pipes going up the wall.

Thanks for advice ....

Just have to put up with the couple of extra pipes going up the wall.

Gosh, isn't life so unfair these days. Two extra pipes, as if we haven't got enough to worry about
argh.gif

Sponsored Links
Yeah, 2 extra pipes with 2 old valves, bent and twisted from succesive owner's DIY attempts and completely out of parallel. Maybe I cant paint them brown and green and pretend they are some kind of climbing vine.

lonspwi said:
Yeah, 2 extra pipes with 2 old valves, bent and twisted from succesive owner's DIY attempts and completely out of parallel. Maybe I cant paint them brown and green and pretend they are some kind of climbing vine.
can you camoflague them with dome kind of cable tidy boxing in...
i have hidden some flexy piping with dummy skirting...they were all over the place being plastic...
the vine idea my wife would like..she would probably want to put curtains on them as well..:D
best of luck with it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back