Replacing Facias & supporting tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do i go about removing an old wooden facia that has tiles resting on it? There is no tilt fillet fitted supporting the weight of the bottom row of tiles. I need to fit 2 and a half 5m lengths to each side of a bungalow?

I've changed facia before but not when the weight of the tiles need supporting. The tiles are flat, someone said the bottom row might not be nailed on as they interlock and you can use wedges on the row above to allow you to remove the bottom row???

Sponsored Links
It would be far far easier to simply remove the bottom few courses, the house will stay watertight as the felt will see to that, if not tack a strip of felt onto the rafters.
I assume that you are refitting in timber in which case paint it up first and then you'll have only a few holes to fill and touch up.

whs.gif

I'm actually re fitting in upvc 18mm facia but i know what you mena with the felt.
My only problem is how easy is it to remove the bottom row of tiles? is it just a case of lifting the row above and the row below pulls out? I know with tiles if theres no tilt fillet supporting the bottom the last row drop down and it's very hard to lift them all again while fitting a 5m facia board

Sponsored Links
My only problem is how easy is it to remove the bottom row of tiles? is it just a case of lifting the row above and the row below pulls out?

More or less, yes, hopefully they wont be nailed, its advisable to take at least two rows out, the first row are usually doubled up. What kind of a tile is it? Your new 18mm replacement fascia will hold all the tiles back up.

I'm unsure which tile it is, should it be stamped on them somewhere? It will be around 30 yrs old i'm guessing.Flat smooth not the corrugated type.I'll try lifting a few and see how they come off.

I'm unsure which tile it is, should it be stamped on them somewhere? It will be around 30 yrs old i'm guessing.Flat smooth not the corrugated type.I'll try lifting a few and see how they come off.

Sorry yes i meant flat smooth or the big concrete ones that slide back. Just lift the second row and the ones underneath should just lift off the lath it sits on. Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back