replacing fascia boards on a flat felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

i'm hoping someone might be able to help?

I am looking to cover my existing wooden fascia boards on my flat roof extension with pvc capping. I would like to know however if anyone has any advice on how I can safely lift the felt on the roof that is folded over the side onto the existing wooden fascia boards. I have heard that a heat gun may help? Is this correct does anyone know or is there another or safer method of doing this so as to minimise any damage to the felt?

Many thanks

tombs74 :)

Sponsored Links
This topic has been previously discussed on the forum.........

The best method would be to remove the drips(folded over felt) altogether,fit coverboard and then get a felter/flat roofer to renew the drips.

If you are wanting to avoid these costs then you will probably find that it is usually difficult to free the drips enough to fit your coverboard without any damage.You could try using a wide wallpaper scraper to ease the drip sufficiently to get the board under maybe about 15mm.

Are the drips stuck directly onto the fascia board? We always fix a 2x1 batten along the top of the fascia,so this would then allow to fit the coverboard without having to remove the felt drips.You would still be able to see some of the 2x1 but if it was painted then this would not be noticable.

Thank you for your reply.

The felt is stuck directly to the fascia board itself. I am considering now just replacing the boards with wooden ones again as on closer inspection there is more damage to them than I thought, which obviously would not be good to just cap. Would this make things easier with regards to the drips or harder?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

tombs74

Sponsored Links
Hi again,
Judging by what you've said about having to replace the timber fascia you'll probably find that this will be more difficult to save the drips as there will/can be more underlying problems i.e fascia being fixed to the decking boards.If i was you i would bite the bullet,remove the drips,remove & replace new fascia and have the drips renewed :cry:.
This would be the best and neatest option.
I hope i havn't spoilt your night :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back