Replacing faulty hot water valve - Manual overide safe in the interim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Detached 4 Bed house.

10 year old Worcester Greenstar 40 CDI boiler. When this was plumbed in the system was changed - The CH top-up tank was removed, an expansion tank added, together with a pressure gauge outlet and top-up tap.

I guess that means the open/vented system was converted to a closed/un-vented one.

The heating system is on two circuits - upstairs and downstairs with their own thermostats.

The hot water tank was updated to a well insulated one, and fitted with a thermostat for boiler, and an electric Immersion heater.

There is also a more recently added underfloor heating system for the kitchen/diner.

Hot water has stopped working. There seems to be a manual override on each of the two valves (one for radiator heating, and one for hot water?).

I assume there is one/more pumps tucked away somewhere in the pipe boxing (pictured).

Until the repair can be carried out by a professional is it safe for me to over-ride the vale manually, so I can stop using the less effective immersion heater?

Thanks V much

20150916_153218.jpg
20150916_130129.jpg
20150916_131208.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can open the valve manually and set the boiler flow temperature to 60-65 degrees. This won't bring the hot water on though, so you'd have to call for heat from the heating.

If you're using the heating this is probably worth doing, otherwise it's probably better to keep using the immersion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back