replacing fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to install the iron fireplace and its surround in the attached pic, and replace the simple hole that currently exists there (again, pic attached showing the white plastered wall).

Any tips on doing this? Do I just bash away and make a big hole for it to fit in?!

I'm not planning on using the fire - asthetic purposes only

Any starting pointers appreciated

Attached is a pic showing what is behind the current white plastered wall of the fireplace.

Ta v much guys

Sponsored Links
1. Even tho you are not intending to use it, sweep and smoke test the flue.

2. measure the replacement insert - not the surround, and outline the dimension lines (height & width) on a pic of the chimney breast. The opening might need widening and going higher.

3. what is pic 1. showing?

4. suggest that you clear way all chattels and cover the floor, grit from your shoes can damage the finished floor surface.

5. is the front hearth area a wood infill or what?

Cheers for the reply

2. If the opening needs to be made higher, I'll be chopping away pieces of the (concrete?) lintel at the top of the hole; is this safe?

3. pic 1 is actually showing what the fireplace currently looks like - the surrounding brickwork was plastered up and painted.

5. Front hearth is filled in with floor filler and flush to the surrounding floor.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back