Replacing flat Porch with a Richard Burbidge Apex Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning on replacing the existing ugly 1950's flat porch with a more attractive Apex porch and could do with some help before I attempt this DIY style.

Before:

After (Photoshop):

I have purchased a Richard Burbidge Apex Porch from B&Q which seems to be good value.

I have also purchased a load of Marley Eternit Plain tile in Antique brown from ebay which were left overs from a car port project.
https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Roofing/Concrete-Tiles/Plain-Tile.aspx

I am about to start to the project but before I do I have a few questions:

Should I be aware of anything before ripping down the flat porch?

Can anyone offer a step by step guide of how to felt, batten and tile the new Apex porch roof?

What fixings would be best for attaching the gallows brackets to the wall?

Do I need to lead step flash the porch to the wall?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance.
Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
That porch looks nice in the photoshop but you'll have a big cut mark above the front window where the concrete was.
You could always scrap that idea and have a nice lean to tiled roof along both the front door and side window with some nice gallows brackets.

Why not a pitched lean to using the tile on hand?

That way you would avoid the difficulty referred to above and you would still have the full length of cover protecting the windom below.

A gutter and a RWP would be needed.

Hi Both, thanks for your replies.

The existing porch is not concrete, it's made of wood and roofing felt construction. When I pull on it, it seems pretty flimsy.

I am hoping that it is just brick behind it so that the apex porch just over the door will work. Has anyone removed one like this?

I prefer the look of the Apex over the pitched lean to version and I am not worried about the window not being protected from the rain.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't say anything in the B&Q listing about this canopy being made from treated timber, which at that price it probably isn't. It's not essential, but if you want it to last I'd be a bit dubious. Modern pine isn't up to much, especially from the sheds.

Cheers
Richard

Hi, good point. I'm planning on undercoating and a few layers of external grade gloss, its not my forever home so should last long enough to fulfil my needs.

Hi, good point. I'm planning on undercoating and a few layers of external grade gloss, its not my forever home so should last long enough to fulfil my needs.

It'll look better than what's there, and at least you haven't gone for plastic.

Cheers
Richard

Started to pull down the old flat porch this evening, no concrete just three metal bars that stick out from the lintel to hold the weight. Will probably have to get an angle grinder on them to drop them off either flush with the wall or ideally just behind the brck line to be mortar'd over.

Will upload some pictures tomorrow ASAP

The flat porch is down, three iron brackets were left which I cut off using an angle grinder. (They were mortar'd in around the bricks so had to cut)

I hammered them back as far as would go so that i could mortar over ... maybe a little too far in one case as it penetrated the internal wall ...whoops!

I have build the porch kit on the ground and will felt and batten then fit to the wall tomorrow.

Then tiling fun ..

Any advice on how to tile and which fixings to use for the gallows brackets would be great.

Thanks, Mark

About to get onto tiling the roof,

As this is just a decorative porch do I need to bother fitting:

A) lead soakers? - installed now
B) step flashing?

Or can I just leave it as tiles against the brickwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back