Replacing flexi hoses every x years

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent most of today doing the not overly enjoyable job of replacing various flexi tap tails on monobloc taps and bath at my dads place, just because I know they’re about 15-18 years old as I fitted them myself over the years.
Plumbers merchant chap my dad spoke to mentioned something about this being unnecessary, or that they’re meant to last a lifetime, but I’m not convinced and I’ve had a neighbour knock my door in the past where one failed spectacularly under the kitchen sink.

My question being, am I being paranoid here? I was kinda under the impression that they had a 5year-ish lifespan? Do any of the plumbers on here actually ever do this as a maintenance job or recommend it to customers?
Any thoughts appreciated
Cheers!

Sponsored Links
For critical pressure applications (high pressure, or high consequence i.e. 1000+l oil spill for example) they often get done every 5 years. In the household.....................

I'd say just inspect for leaks and make sure ever to use them where you can't inspect. Just because one failed spectacularly once, doesn't mean they're all waiting to fail.

If you're that concerned, pull the finger out and fit it without a flex pipe!

Yep, I’ve replaced 3 so far with rigid pipework. Some of the others (monobloc taps) are a lot tricker (for me at least) to covert to rigid. And to be fair I virtually never see these done in copper tails nowadays, by anyone. Although agreed it’d be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back