replacing french doors & FENSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am about to replace a friends upvc french doors for a set of new ones, ordered the door from a FENSA registered upvc company so the new unit will be o.k, the 'old' upvc units in the house are not covered by FENSA, as im changing like for like and the new unit is FENSA, will that be o.k or will i need to get a council inspector round to give it a certificate, got to start it monday if poss so any info would be most welcome

Sponsored Links
Hi , made by Fensa don t count , must be installed by them as well to comply and be registered, if not and you want it done by the book then you could get building control involved :rolleyes: but be warned like for like does not exist anymore under part L.

Sponsored Links
asked them, they say the guarantee is invalid if someone other than one of there employees fits them, i think they're taking the **** myself, they wanted £500 to fit them

If your happy then pay your £70 to the council and fit them yourself ;)
that would be my choice.

asked them, they say the guarantee is invalid if someone other than one of there employees fits them, i think they're taking the p**s myself, they wanted £500 to fit them
The units must conform to current Building Regs. but if you’ve got them from a reputable source, it’s highly unlikely that the wont as there aren’t any manufacturers that don’t meet the minimum FENSA (or equivalent) standards which, in turn, reflect the Building Regs. there would be no point! It's also extremely unlikely that the company you’ve bought the doors from actually make their own units; you would have done better to have bought them direct. The units should still have a warranty from the manufacturer against manufacturing faults but it may be limited to 12 months rather than the normal 10 years on the installation when fitted by a FENSA registered company but check.

They really are more than taking the **** if they want £500 to install! :eek: If you have a complete house reglaze, a reputable company would charge around £50 - £70 per window, £70 -£90 per door; that's what they pay their self employed fitters; there are very few that actually employ their own fitters these days. Single units will inevitably be more expensive but the price they are asking is sheer exploitation. :mad:

I usually advise to get replacement windows/doors supplied & installed through a registered company as its less hassle & usually more cost effective; but obviously not from the company you’ve picked. If you’ve not bought already, tell them to shove the doors where the sun never shines & go to a decent company. If you’ve already bought, I would agree with mikric & go through your LABC so you get a compliance certificate. If they are good quality units, I wouldn’t worry too much about the 10 year warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back