Replacing French doors with a large window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We're starting having a single storey extension built to the rear of our Victorian terraced house, only 5m2 but expanding the full width of the house a bit further.

We have full planning permission granted, as had to apply because there is a prior extension to the rear as well. Planning includes patio doors to the rear, which leads to the current yard of the house. We've spent a long time looking at doors, and realise we cannot afford a) doors we like b) developing the yard c) have left it to late to order!

So the radical alternative we've come up with is installing a large window instead, but now appreciate this isn't specified on the plans and don't want further delays running this past planning. Will the building inspector query this on the final inspection, and if not can we then stick our heads in the sand and hope we've got away with it?

Many thanks for any opinions or ideas on this!

Sponsored Links
There is a door to the rear of the property remaining, about 5 metres from planned door-to-window. The French windows would have been a new and additional escape route.

Sponsored Links
Form the french door opening and build extension.

Use studwork maybe at bottom to reduce size.

Build a temporary frame above and glaze.

Or buy a 2nd hand upvc window from the bay and pack out as required to fill the space.

Or just buy a new upvc direct glazed frame.

Planning is no issue at all, but your temp window will stop b/regs getting signed off, unless its compliant or until you get the doors done

Thanks for the ideas, I'm probably looking at a design (sill at 800mm though) like this though, fixed pane.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ox2TAd695ZXh8BTJ7
rs74DMbNDRPCPGu56

Last edited:
I bought 6’ upvc french doors for £420 from a local window company. Smaller would have been cheaper. Surely you could bang a set of those in and live with them until you find a set you really like. I’m sure you’ll just get used to them anyhow. A big fecking floor to ceiling window will just have the same question asked of it every time someone comes round..... shouldn’t you have put some doors in there?

Last edited:
True, there are lots out there for £500 odd, but I'm pretty certain I'll dread looking at them everyday. The idea of a window is it could look amazing for less than £800 (including brickwork, etc),

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back