Replacing back door with window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a mid-1930s semi with a back door and, around 1 meter next to it, a 2 meter sliding patio door.

Originally these doors were in separate rooms which have since been knocked together, so we'd now like to replace the door with a window, so that we can place our kitchen sink here.

Are there any planning laws that would make this impossible? Is it okay to have rear access only via sliding doors?

Thanks,

Russ :)

Sponsored Links
Hopefully not too late - you should be okay as long as you are not living in a conservation area or listed building nor have any further restrictions on your property (I.E; Article 4 directive)

Changing doors for windows, visa versa and even creating new windows are not technically considered development (and as such not covered by planning permissions).

Presuming that the changes were at the rear of your house, it is unlikely the council would have any issue anyway.

Finally, the way that the doors open is of little concern for Planning. Technically, under Building Regs it is actually better that you replace the door with the window as the window should provide an open-able section to allow for natural ventilation.

Changing doors for windows, visa versa and even creating new windows are not technically considered development (and as such not covered by planning permissions).
An article 4 direction (or not) wouldn't be relevant if it wasn't development. Changing a door to a window is development but is normally permitted under the GPDO. Sometimes local authorities remove GPDO rights in an area or if you live in a conservation area your rights might be restricted by an article 4 direction. To be safe you should check with your local authority to make sure but if you live in a bog standard house on a bog standard estate I'd take nosealls advice and crack on.

Sponsored Links
An article 4 direction (or not) wouldn't be relevant if it wasn't development. Changing a door to a window is development but is normally permitted under the GPDO.

This is why I love this... because it's all down to interpretation. Something like new windows or doors (or swapping between them) can sometimes or sometimes not be development. It is always down to a case by case.

The Town & Country Planning Act describes what development is;

(a)demolition of buildings;
(b)rebuilding;
(c)structural alterations of or additions to buildings; and
(d)other operations normally undertaken by a person carrying on business as a builder.

They could try to pull it under section d. But that is incredibly vague - and not necessarily true as replacing windows could be said to be an operation normally undertaken by a "glazer" (and not a builder). Aside from that replacing a door with a window could potentially be considered to not materially affect the external appearance (depending on the situation of course) and as such not be subject to the Act anyway. Creating a new window might be different again, because it might require structural alterations.

Where this would be described as development, and where it would materially change the external appearance it certainly would fall under the scope of GPDO as being an "improvement" or "amendment" to a dwelling.

Interpretation is clarified by case law. By coincidence I can refer you to an appeal in Leighton Buzzard, Bedforshire, where the inspector refers to the conversion of a door to a window. She says: "The proposed windows would replace the front doors to each of the dwelling houses, known as Nos 10 and 12. The windows would individually be development within the curtilage of a dwelling house..." I could find you several dozen (hundreds) others.

Interpretation is clarified by case law. By coincidence I can refer you to an appeal in Leighton Buzzard, Bedforshire, where the inspector refers to the conversion of a door to a window. She says: "The proposed windows would replace the front doors to each of the dwelling houses, known as Nos 10 and 12. The windows would individually be development within the curtilage of a dwelling house..." I could find you several dozen (hundreds) others.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not too stubborn to say that the OP should ignore my previous statement contrary to the above evidence.

I'm still slightly dubious as to under what condition / description of development (a to d) this would fall under according to the Act. I'd like to learn more though if you want to pm me your thoughts on it so we don't end up hijacking this thread!?

The question and answers refer to planning permission, which may or may not be relevant, but a new window technically requires building regs and be Fensa approved.

i would check with your local council building/planning and make sure that you get things right before you start - better off long term as if you want to sell your house in the future you will have to supply documentary evidence to any work including planning permissions and fensa certificates and if make sure that the builders are fensa certified or you will have to have it inspected afterwards to pass buildings control - extra money

whatever the extra cost for a fensa certified guy make sure you get one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back