Replacing G4 socket + what do I need for LED G4 bulbs?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some LED G4 bulbs to replace existing ones, 2 of which were gone.
I fitted on. It worked fine. I fitted another - the LED bulbs went dim. I fitted all - they all stayed dim.

Damn! I'm guessing it's to do with the transformer or something? I remember having the same problem with GU10 bulbs.

What can I replace with?
These lights are underneath cabinets in the kitchen.

LED strips lights would actually be good - but not sure about the wiring needed.

Maybe replace with GU10?? Or are these meant for ceilings?
Do we need the extra lighting for the cooking - it's just how the kitchen is arranged.

ELSE... should I replace like for like? How do I know the new socket will be OK for LED bulbs?

Not sure how to get the existing ones off!
Would like some advice on that.
See below for pic.

nHMlNGp.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you want to keep those things and use LED lamps in them, you will need one of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/aurora-12-240v-constant-voltage-led-driver-16w/2107t

The existing one will be designed for halogen lamps and will have a minimum load, which the new LEDs are far below, hence they don't work properly.

For complete replacement, the round bezel prys off, and there will be a single screw inside fixing it to the cupboard above.
12V LED units can be connected to the existing wiring and a suitable driver, if you want 230V strips or similar, new wiring will be required.

@flameport Thanks for the reply.
Grrr.. no space for those blue long things - I think I would be better off going for complete replacement.

You said 12v LED units can be connected... assuming you mean G4 ones?
Can you send me a link? I searched Screwfix and can't find.

Thanks.

The "blue long thing" must already exist somewhere. Perhaps on top of the cabinet.

G4 bulbs run on 12v, so there must be a transformer/driver somewhere that converts that from mains 240v down to 12v for the lights. You will need to swap that out for one thats compatible with LED's

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back