Replacing Gas Fire with Electric?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning to replace our existing open gas fire with an electric one, mostly for decorative reasons but also I like the idea of having different fuel sources in case of problems.

I'd just like a bit of guidance on how much I should expect to pay to have the existing fire disconnected, I will remove it and the fireplace and all that, it's just the closing of the gas feed really.

Can anyone advise a rough cost for doing it?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I'm planning to replace our existing open gas fire with an electric one, mostly for decorative reasons but also I like the idea of having different fuel sources in case of problems.

If you take out your gas fire you will be dependent on electricity as your central heating won't work without it.

I'm sure someone else will be able to answer your other question.

What makes you say that mogget?

We have a boiler for the CH, the gas fire is simply the heat source for the lounge (which incidentally has the gas feed switched off and hans't been used in 8 years! :) )

We've been meaning to spruce up the lounge but you know how it is, there's never quite enough money to get on with it!

If you have a powercut, you can usually use a gas fire as long as there are no electrical controls..... how often do you have a 'Gas-cut'??

BG will do a disconnect appliance job for maybe £80-£100 if its not too involved otherwise a quote could be given if there is more work than a bit of cutting to the gas supply req.

Sponsored Links
What makes you say that mogget?

It's because you mentioned that you would like to have diverse fuels in case of a shortage.

Although the boiler itself runs on gas, the controls and pump require electricity. This may be obvious to you, but it's surprising how many people don't realise it. So my apologies if I am stating the obvious.

Of course there are many different ways to have backup heat.

I'm no expert in gas and electricity distribution, but I think that should there be a shortage of gas, caused by Gazprom perhaps, the electricity would go off first. This is because if the domestic gas supply is cut, a team of engineers have to go to each house because of stoves etc that may be left on. I would think that some gas-fired power stations would be shut down first as restarting them would be easier. If anyone knows more about this than me, or if I am plain wrong, please feel free to correct me.

:) I see, no worries.

What I meant to say was, if my boiler packs up (or if my meter has a problem or similar), I like the idea of having a different heat source around.

Plus, if I go for electric, I can fit that myself and don't have to pay crazy money for a CORGI fitter to come and do it for me, save for the capping off of the current Gas Supply.

The broader issues you mention with national supply are quite right, although my plan is a lot less grandiose than that :D

I can fit that myself and don't have to pay crazy money

If you intend to use fixed wiring you might need a part "p" registered sparky, who will also charges for his work.

Yeah, I probably won't do that, I'm expecting to chase the wiring in myself and then terminate at a plug

I haven't done all the research yet but a cursory look seems to suggest a lot of fires work off a standard 13A plug these days.

Anyone who charges you more than say 50 quid is taking the p##s for less than half hours work

They may, like me namsag, have a minimum charge that covers the first hour, so could be more than £50 quite legitimatly

Whether I am there 5 minutes or 1 hour, it is the same. ;)

Beer money job dave ;)

That's what I'd expect to be honest, turn off the gas, unscrew the elbow, put a new cap on, seal it, test and walk away.

I think up to £50 would be a fair charge considering the time and effort required...

I guess I need to make a couple of calls now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back