gas fire replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the fireplace in my home which is a modern house and at the same time replacing the balanced flue gas fire with a "powerflue" one.

It is a straightforward job, and I have, years ago, in more laissez-faire days, fitted gas appliances in my own home. The fire is on an outside wall and the vent is straight out through the wall. Obviously, the gas is already in place for the existing fire. An electrical spur (13A fused) is already in place.

As I understand it (gleaned from the HSE website), some work if not carried out by a Corgi registered fitter, could be illegal. I am sure this is sensible and have no difficulty with it, but I cannot tell what exactly would be illegal.

Is it, for instance, illegal to turn off the gas and remove the existing fire?

Or cap the gas supply to the fire?

Connect the fire to the electricity supply?

Is a Corgi certificate a legal requirement?

I want to do things properly but it would help if I knew what is and isn't allowed.

Can anyone help please? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do a search here, you'll find plenty.
Basically in your own home you have to be "competent". Unless you've done the training, you won't be, in the eyes of anyone who matters.

You wouldn't even be able to cap a gas pipe off, for example, because you won't know how to test for leaks. Fairy liquid may be used a lot, but it is prohibited!

Thanks Chris. I did the search. It's been thought provoking. I think I'll retire now before I hear from PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back