Gas Fire Replacement Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I want to change out the existing gas fire in my place for a better model. This old one was hardly ever used and just looks naff so a replacement is required.

There are few options on the cards here, wife would like a solid fuel type one which isn't gas as they are reasonably cost effective as you only burn what you have and know you aren't going to get a mahoosive bill. However I was looking at the internet and it appears that gas is cheaper that solid fuel/wood (really don't know if this is true and i don't have a steady free supply of wood).

The situation at the moment is there is a fireplace, marble bit at bottom and back plus a nasty wood surround. I would like to really just swap out existing gas one for a new glass fronted one really but not too sure how to go about this. Do i buy one, guess the measurements and get the gas fitter to remove and replace or would it be prudent to get the gas people to just remove?

Whats the normal process on this, i don't want to be paying out twice to be honest.

Secondly, back to the real fire. Roughly if i wanted to have one of these (which i think are nicer) how much would it cost, friend says about £2K which sounds a bit pricey to me.

Whats everyones opinion on gas vs solid fuel on the cost side?

Lee

Sponsored Links
If you have central heating then you don't actually need any heat from a fire.

Why not just buy whatever your wife likes and let it sit there unconnected if you must have something to look at?

Or just a bowl of pine cones?

Tony

We do have central heating but she is worried about the cost over time.

Lets just say that we need a refresh :)

Cost?

Does she realise that a £2000 fire is a lot of money?

Also that a gas fire sends about 80% of the heat produced to the outside?

Spending £2000 and using a gas fire to "save money" is just not possible!

Do you have a modern condensing boiler?

Tony

Sponsored Links
This is the thing

1. Is £2000 what it may cost?
2. I read somewhere that the modern glass fronted ones don't lose that amount of heat.

Yes, we have a condensing boiler but we do want to replace the fireplace with something (most likely to be another gas one) but don't know the process

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back