Replacing gate valve leading to hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a gate valve on the cold water feed to the hot water cylinder. I don't believe there is a valve to stop the water coming from the cold water tank to the cylinder above the gate valve on the feed so is there anyway to replace this without draining down the cold water tank?

I have attached a pic of the valve in question.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 709
Sponsored Links
You could try a bung in the outlet of the storage tank in the loft. You will lose a bit of water, but have some old towels ready. One other method is to use a freezer kit just above the gate valve.

Turn off the mains and drain down all water then fit a full bore lever valve.

I would just bung the tank but as a diyer I would recommend a full drain down.

Andy

Sponsored Links
As above, lever every time.

You shouldn't have any difficulty in bunging the header tank.

Edit: depending on the age of your house, the pipe may be 3/4" imperial, in which case you may want to buy a couple of 3/4" olives for the new valve.

Geniuses, I never thought of bunging it. So I will literally have to stick my hand in the cold water tank and bung the outlet to the pipe leading to the cylinder? Then as I disconnect the gate valve I expect some water will flow down the pipe from the tank (water that was already in the pipe) what about the water below the gate valve. Is this likely to just sit there? I.e. Is it under any pressure?

Geniuses, I never thought of bunging it. So I will literally have to stick my hand in the cold water tank and bung the outlet to the pipe leading to the cylinder? Then as I disconnect the gate valve I expect some water will flow down the pipe from the tank (water that was already in the pipe) what about the water below the gate valve. Is this likely to just sit there? I.e. Is it under any pressure?

Only pressure is from gravity.
Try and find a tapered item like a wine bottle stopper for example, or borrow the proper thing from a tame plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back