Draining down hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you find is best to drain the hot water so you can change a tap on an old vented tank and cylinder system. There is no isolation valves. Do you risk the gate valve on the cold feed to the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Gate valves really belong in the days of steam, but may leak at the gland, may be seized, may not shut off the supply - who knows?
Either tie up the ball valve on the loft header tank or plug its outlet.....I prefer the former.
John :)

if tieing up the ball valve I will have to drain the tank. Wouldn't it be as easy to just turn the mains off?

Sponsored Links
I have no bunges/plugs so cant really plug the tank outlet.

The ball valve is frequently used and should work fine.....every time I touch my main stopcock the gland starts leaking, which is a PITA.

The ball valve is frequently used and should work fine.....every time I touch my main stopcock the gland starts leaking, which is a PITA.
Well, it's time you got that repaired.........do you know any good plumbers?:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back