Replacing glass roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have a friend whose recently purchased a house and the house has a partial glass roof ( see pic ) . Now the glass appears to be 6mm standard glass from what I can see and has several cracks ( doesn't look like laminate glass ) which have been previously bodge sealed with silicone. My friend is looking to replace the roof as it is damaged plus its letting a lot of heat out. Has anyone any suggestions on what may be the best way forward.

Oh the roof seems to be self-supporting, not sitting on any parallel rafters,if anything joists are running ' horizontally rather than vertically 20220313_102231.jpg 20220313_102249.jpg

Sponsored Links
When you say best way forward! are you talking building a conventional roof with slates and a few velux skylights?

Hi Catlad,

They would like to keep the area glazed with either glass or polycarb if possible

Hi Catlad,

They would like to keep the area glazed with either glass or polycarb if possible
if that is float, annealed glass not toughened or laminated -I would be nervous of walking under it

It can be replaced with 24mm toughened double glazing

there are plenty of options here:
https://www.tuffxglass.co.uk/products/conservatory-glass/

you could ask tuffx for a local dealer who might be able to quote to supply and fix

you can get double glazed units up to 4 metres long

it will need proper capping bars, like exitex capex

Id be guessing the job could be £8k -£10k possible more in these times of mad inflation

Sponsored Links
Well it depends how much heat they want to save? 35mm polycarb on timber rafters with snapdown glazing bars would be a cheap option.

Thanks for this,

My main concern is how to make it all water tight, as currently its pretty much level with the roof tiles at the top and the sides. I know 4mtr units are incredibly expensive and certainly wouldn't use ' H' bar joiners as they are useless and always end up leaking, and the main reason my friend thought clear polycarb

@catlad , unfortunately no 'vertical ' timber rafters, only ' Horizontal' . As I've just said not sure how to make water tight at top and sides, as at the top the existing roof tiles overlap a lead flashing, modern systems seem to be too tall

Top should be fairly straight forward with a lead flashing detail once a few slates have been removed. The side, I would go with the right hand side detail on the picture, an F trim at that side of the poly should give a 40mm upstand to slate to and then you could use soakers over that and dress it down onto the poly.

What about the lack of ' vertical ' rafters for the snapfix system to fit on? Would the horizontals be sufficient if just using clear polycarb? Or could ' noggins ' be used between each horizontal under the snapfix bars for added support?

You could use a self support poly system 35mm opal heatguard. Bars are 100mm high so you’d have to create a little mini flat roof valley at the top. You need at least 1 supporting purlin in the middle.

working with those slates though….:censored:

Thanks for all the advice, they've decide to have the whole roof reslated with Delabole slate and remove the glass area completely and replace with 2 x Velux windos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back