Replacing halogen G9 bulbs with LED G9 bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several G9 halogen bulbs used with a conventional dimmer switch and would like to replace the bulbs with their LED equivalents. I'm aware that conventional filament bulb dimmers are different to LED bulb dimmers and, ideally, I should replace the conventional dimmer switch if I wish to use dimmable LED bulbs.

Question is: in the short term, can I fit dim-able G9 LED bulbs to the conventional dimmer switch circuit and set the dimmer "full on" maximum (i.e. don't use it as a dimmer, just as an on/off switch). Would that be safe and would I avoid damaging the dimmable LED bulbs if I did this? Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Most “conventional” dimmers only work if they have a largish load connected. 40 or maybe 60watts.
Without that required load there’s no telling what the dimmer might do to the LED.
It may come on full, or flicker or not come on at all.
If you want a temporary solution, swop the dimmer for a standard lightswitch.

Good point - I'd forgotten about the load thing. Yes, the load is currently 40W. I'll go with the standard lightswitch, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I found problems using an electronic switch with G9 bulbs, the switch said 5 watt bulb minimum and I had 5 bulbs, so together well over 5 watt, but as single bulbs more like 2.2 watt each I fitted a load capacitor to start with load-capacitor.jpgthis stopped it flashing when switched off, but the bulbs has a shimmer when switched on, so had to use one quartz bulb, then wife found some bulbs on the internet G9-comp.jpgmuch larger than originals so covers will not fit, however the cover is duel purpose, one is should the quartz bulb shatter it stops white hot bits falling on carpet, and second it stops harmful rays, neither needed with LED, so running without the glass cover was OK, but makes the lamp look very different. Bulb box marked:-
G9-69SMD-5730
AC:220-240V
White
Within a day one had failed, so ordered 4 more, when they arrived I opened the failed bulb to see what was inside, the smoothing capacitor was nearly as big as the whole of the smaller bulb, clearly that's why no shimmer. I found a dry soldered joint which I corrected and lamp now back in service, been in for around 2.5 years now.

SMD-5730 is the chip (0.5 watt) but likely not driven to maximum output possible down to 0.1 watt, so likely around 6 to 10 watt total, but not marked, neither is the lumen output, so in theory not level to sell these bulbs in the UK, internet is the only way to get them. It does seem there is a range 1661832496112.pngLooking at picture off internet I would say mine are 15 watt, but as said unmarked. They are really too bright for a bedroom, so wife has some wall lights for when not wanting such a bright light.

Main problem now is a stock of 6 of the smaller bulbs, and 9 quartz bulbs, and 4 of the bulbs that work, which I am sure in fullness of time we will use, and not dumping as new, but with other types as well I have a draw full of good mainly new bulbs including some pearl BA22d from 40 to 100 watt bought before they were withdrawn, enough to cover my life time at least.

With GU10, E14, E27, BA22d, G9 even the odd 12 volt G5.3 where my gran only had 3 bulbs 40, 60, or 100 watt, now there are so many.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back