Replacing Honeywell receiver with Hive receiver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help, I have pucrchased the Hive heating control and have gone to replace my existing Honeywell receiver with the Hive one.
Have just come away slightly confused with the wiring, the Honeywell has two terminals for live, the left hand live is coming from the mains and the right hand live is going off to the boiler, there are then the two netruals in the netrual terminal, the two switching wires come from the boiler into terminals A and B.
I was hoping the Hive would be labelled in a common way, but no.
Can anyone advise what goes where, pictures attached

Sponsored Links
If you had purchased the Evohome system it would have been superior - AND used the same relay box so no wiring.

A and B cables go to 1 and 3 on Hive.

The cables currently in L&N go in the same place on Hive.

PS: Someone diabolical has lashed up the Honeywell box.

That is what I though, the diabolical bit! Not got a clue who installed as was in when purchased the house.
Thanks, so both the Lives go in to the the one live terminal? That is the bit that was confusing me only having the one live on the Hive.

Yep, both lives together as before (both L terminals are linked inside the BDR front plate).

Sponsored Links
Sorted it, all up and running and working, thanks. :D

placky
Sorted it, all up and running and working, thanks. :D
can you put a pic up of the wiring now and the whole white box before you take the cover off it maybe like my hive that i got what don't work right

If you had purchased the Evohome system it would have been superior - AND used the same relay box so no wiring.

A and B cables go to 1 and 3 on Hive.

The cables currently in L&N go in the same place on Hive.

PS: Someone diabolical has lashed up the Honeywell box.

Hi, sorry to post on such an old thread. I'm looking at changing my Hive to the Evohome and your comment about using the same relay box interests me-as I was slightly concerned with the wiring. Is it as simple as pairing the Hive relay to the Evohome controller? Thanks in advance

Hi I currently have a Honeywell BDR91 receiver and I am replacing in with a Hive receiver, my boiler is an Ideal Independent+.

I have fused socket which goes direct into the boiler and then 4 wires come back out of the boiler and were attached as shown into the BDR91. The Hive is a single channel receiver.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Working off the supplied diagram by Hive, it is clear that the original L and N wires are currently sat in the correct slots. But there is a bit of confusion on were the other 2 wires should sit as per picture below, what would you suggest for the black wire that was originally sat in slot B on the BDR91 and the yellow wire with red tape that sat in slot A on the BDR91.

Unknown-3.jpeg

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 791
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
I've now put the black wire in slot 1 and the yellow wire with the red tape on in slot 3, but still the system isn't working really at a loss with this. Oh ps the timer is set to permanently.

Really grateful to any help with this. It must be noted the thermostat, hub and receiver are all connected properly.

Big help would be really appreciated on this.

A=1
B=3

I assume the boiler has power, but just doesn't light.

Unclip the receiver then short 1 and 3 together on the wall plate. If the boiler lights, the problem is with the receiver. If it doesn't light, the boiler is the problem.

So the boiler fires up fine when u put 1 and 3 together. The receiver is brand new can't get my head round it at all

You have got the single channel hive haven't you? Not the dual channel one.

That eliminates the boiler!

What colour is the top light on the receiver?

Does the green light come on and boiler light when you press the button on the receiver.

You say the receiver is brand new. Was it bought as a complete kit (hub, receiver, thermostat) from a reliable source?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back