Replacing Honeywell T40 with Nest thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read a bunch of other threads but I'm still not 100% sure I know how to wire up the Nest Heat Link correctly and obviously don't want to blow up my £179 shiny new gadget!

The Honeywell T40 has 3 wires coming in which as far as I am aware correspond to:
1 - [live]
2 - [neutral]
3 - [switched live]

The Nest heat link requires these connections:
Live connected to "L"
Live connected to "2 [common]"
Neutral connected to "N"
Switched Live connected to "3 [call-for-heat]"
[see pages 32 & 34 of installation manual: https://s3.amazonaws.com/support-as...ges/Nest-Thermostat-Installation-Guide-UK.pdf]

So does that mean the corresponding wiring should go:
[code:1]Wire *was* here in Honeywell -------- Wired *now* to here in Nest heat link
1 [live] ---------------------------- 2 [common] with jumper cable to L, as specified in Nest manual
2 [neutral] ------------------------- N
3 [switched live] ------------------- 3[/code:1]

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Sponsored Links
You have worked it out correctly.

For the Heatlink, you will need to link terminals L and 2 (Common) and also connect the Live supply to one of them.

3 (call for heat) is the switched live

N is of course, Neutral

And somehow you will need to power the thermostat, either using the plug in power supply, or by wiring it to T1 & T2 at the heatlink

Awesome, thanks.

Yes there's no existing wiring that I can power the thermostat with. If I can figure out the correct type of wire to buy I'll wire the thermostat to the heat link, otherwise there's a nearby power socket I can use with the USB power supply.

Ah, seems a few people have asked the same question about what sort of wire to use for the T1/T2 thermostat power connections, and the consensus seems to be that "speaker wire" or "bell wire" does the job.

Sponsored Links
An alternative would have been to use the wires in the T40 for your T1 & T2 wires, and put the Heat Link at the other end of the old T40 wires where it's out of sight....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back