Help with Nest install replacing Honeywell DT90E Thermostat

@dan yep, i intend to run the nest user control off the USB power supply (supplied) so thats gonna just stand alone in a separate room. No issue there

THe heat link on the other hand requires mains. So either
a) the connections I have right now could be be 240vac and therefore is probably missing the [Neutral) because the honeywell was battery powered

b) the connections I have right now are low voltage (dry contact) and there's no mains at all in the box where the honeywell is currently.

In either case it seems that I'd need to run different mains to the box. I don't think there's much chance of getting that from the boiler power as it's 3 rooms away through solid walls. So either a regular plug or a new location for the Heat Link, next to the boiler, which is definitely a pro job

Promise I'll go away soon (its kinda late now)

Any thought on the ticking radiator syndrome as well? It does it when the heating is coming on, seems to be from the radiator itself not the pipes.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
cross posted with your reply.

Thats what I feared, no neutral connection at the old (honeywell) thermostat electrical box. So does it have to be power coming from the boiler, or any 240v would work? Since we're just powering the heat link itself not the switch/live for the heating system

Sponsored Links
Well it isn't just connecting 2 wires... it is knowing how to connect it after looking at the system for 30 seconds.

It travelling there.

its being insured to work in other peoples properties.

it is being qualified to work on multiple appliances.

It is being registered to work on the appliances.

It is paying for back office work to allow the field work.

It is paying for the continual training and improvement that decent companies undertake.

It is paying wages

It is paying for tools.

It is paying for literature, websites, mobile phones, uniforms, vehicles, consumables, lunch, test products, accountants, free surveys and all the other things that the customer doesn't actually see when someone turns up and does something in 10 minutes that might have taken them a whole afternoon.

£60 in London is far too cheap IMHO and you could end up having "extras" loaded on top.

As for reliable Nest installers in London - Dean and I couldn't possibly comment ;).

its also about knowing what you are doing to do it right and provide the inevitable support in a lot of cases.

call out charges in London are generally around £100 - £150, its your bad luck its 5 minutes work if the installer knows what they are doing!

Any 240v will do for the live and neautral but the only way I can see of doing that putting the heat link at the old stat position is to run a cable surface mounted with a plug top into a nearby socket, not very elegant!

Also have the issue of safe isolation if someone turn of the heating fuse spur thinking it isolates the nest.

Thanks Alec. Not really bad luck as much as £150 quid down the drain for 5 minutes of someone's time who learnt how to use a multimeter and a screwdriver (and did a test to prove it) - yes i'm being flippant, I realise there is more to it than that (if we want to do more than just install the heat link - which it seems I do now, but that wasn't clear at the start of the thread, which indeed was why I started it) .. but I don't call that good value, no matter how you describe it. Oh yeah, and since I don't learn anything, I get to spend that again next time again on "support". Great.

But thanks for your constructive feedback. In my world of software development we like to share our knowledge for the greater good of others in the field. It would be good if that were to permeate a bit further into other cultures. Something in-between changing a lightbulb and wiring up a whole house, you know?

Dean, much more useful, yes, thanks - I acknowledge that it would look more ugly with a surface mounted cable. Reckon I'm going to have to get it re-positioned next to the boiler. Pretty annoying because the current boiler circuit is on the "wrong" side of the boiler - e.g. the boiler is blocking the signal to the nest, which is not recommended in the docs. Means we might have to move it all across to the other side which is going to take a bit of time, since there's also another wall plug wired alongside.

It definitely seems like I'm going to need an electrician for this to make sure it is all certified and safe. Anyone wants to PM me some recommendation for Camberwell London area, if thats not against T&C of the forum?

Thanks Dean and Dan for your help last night!

You need a gas engineer not an electrician.

Don't let an electrician anywhere near your boiler - for a start he is not allowed to open the case any more than you are.

Looks like I found you anyway Dan. Thanks for your help, just due to the lead time, I'm going with the other company, but it was extremely valuable to talk to you today

All the best,
Joe

No problem.... lead times are no something that can be helped I'm afraid.

Only one more slot left in May now then booked until 9th June... but even then we have a monster project waiting for a start date and is on a rolling appointment until confirmed.

Still mustn't grumble.

Like I said - that other firm seem to be playing with their figures (but we all do to a certain extent), but as long as things are done correctly then it is a decent price.

Thanks Dan, I'm glad you are busy and it probably means you're a great person to have got the work done with.

These chaps can come this evening, so with any luck it will be all up and running in no time. Will be in touch if I need something subsequently though

Best,
Joe

Just to finish the thread, the company I used turned out to be perfectly proficient, so I was happy with the service I received. I was given lots of helpful advice about that and the other questions I sprang on him. He knew everything about my boiler set up as well as the history of my particular model.

The Nest Heat Link is now installed by my boiler via a new cable and it turns out it really is is just about as easy as wiring a plug, albeit one with 4 wires.

That said it does mean opening the case of the boiler which as aforementioned should only be carried out by a "Gas Safe" engineer.

I got a service out of it too so all's well that ends well, although if you're told thats just part of the "Nest install package" I suggest you ask if they will do it without the service, because a hunch says that they will at the originally advertised price.

Now I have the Nest installed, it's all a bit of an anticlimax! It looks good and I've checked the iPhone app a few times but until it is trained I won't know how good it really is at regulating the temperature and keeping costs down. All told I probably won't save any money for at least a year

Next job, replacing all my halogens with dimmable energy savers!

Thanks to all commenters, especially Dan and Dean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back