Replacing internal double doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some double doors that lead from our dining room to the lounge. The door with the 'female' side of the door latch has bolts that slide out of the top and bottom to secure one it to the floor and ceiling and over time, the battering it has taken has split the wood. New doors needed.

Replacing like for like would be straightforward, but there are two issues in the house I would like to rectify when I deal with this. Firstly it is dark in the lounge behind the doors, so the next ones will have glazed panels. Secondly, the doors protrude too far into the lounge, so I'd like them to fold. It's this bit I need help with.

The folding doors I have looked at on line all seem to have some sort of top rail system so that they stay close to the frame. I hadn't considered this, assuming that folding doors would open into the room just like regular doors but have a fold in them - thereby allowing me to throw them wide open.

!. Is that a viable concept, or is that potentially troublesome somehow?
2. Do I need particular doors to do this, or would the doors I have seen - leaving the top rail unfitted - do the job?
3. What central catches do I need on these doors? If they slide, presumably none - just handles - but if they are loose, I'm not sure how they'd hold together, which possibly answers question 1.

Can anyone offer me any guidance here?

Sponsored Links
you can just add some decent hinges to the bi fold doors so they can take the weight,should work fine.
or parliament hinges may work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back