Replacing internal telelphone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The internet at home is quite slow and always has been

My router is connected to 1 bedroom telephone socket. This socket is fed from another bedroom socket and the 2nd bedroom socket comes from the master socket in the lounge.

Typically this current bedroom socket sees us broadband speeds of 2-2.5mb

When I connected to the Test Socket the speed was 4.5mb, with the faceplate back on and the router connected to the Master Socket. It was 3mb.

This indicates theres a fault in the wiring somewhere and I was wondering what would be the best way to get into replacing the cables myself?

The 2 bedrooms have laminate flooring and I'm assuming this would mean lifting up the flooring and then getting under the floor boards to replace?

From the Master Socket in the lounge, the wire goes under the floor into a cupboard and then up the wall in the cupboard into Bedroom 1's cupboard and from there I believe its under the floor to Bedroom 1's Socket. Then a cable goes from Bedrooms 1's Socket through the wall and under the flooring into Bedrooms 2's Socket where the Router is situated.

We need the telephone sockets in these rooms due to Sky Tv sending us letters about connecting the box's to a telephone line and threat of upping our bill too.

I'm new to replacing the cable but would like to give this a go and was hoping that I could get some good information from you guys.

Sponsored Links
Out the wall and round the outside of the house?

Have you got filters in phone sockets that are used?

Firstly have you made sure you have filters on all telephony devices. Especially the sky boxes.

Secondly can you post pictures of how things are wired at the sockets? it may well be that there is nothing wrong with the cable itself and you just have a wiring issue.

Sounds like your line is crying out for an iPlate, or disconnecting the ring wire on terminal 3 from the master socket removeable faceplate.

Sponsored Links
Use a filtered front plate on the BT NTE5 ( master socket ) to separate ADSL ( Broad band ) wiring from the telephone wiring..

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

adsl-nteface-sol-1.gif

Run a single pair from the un-filtered terminals of the front plate directly to a socket for the router to be plugged into.

Run cables separately from the filtered terminals of the front plate to the phone sockets.

Out the wall and round the outside of the house?

Have you got filters in phone sockets that are used?

Internal house lines on the outside of the house? Don't think thats a good idea.

Each of the 3 sockets has microfilters attached. The microfilters have also been replaced as I have spares.

Firstly have you made sure you have filters on all telephony devices. Especially the sky boxes.

Secondly can you post pictures of how things are wired at the sockets? it may well be that there is nothing wrong with the cable itself and you just have a wiring issue.

Yes the 3 sockets have microfilters.

I will try to take images of the 3 sockets over the weekend when I have time and its day light.

Use a filtered front plate on the BT NTE5 ( master socket ) to separate ADSL ( Broad band ) wiring from the telephone wiring..

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

adsl-nteface-sol-1.gif

Run a single pair from the un-filtered terminals of the front plate directly to a socket for the router to be plugged into.

Run cables separately from the filtered terminals of the front plate to the phone sockets.

My Bedroom 2 socket which has the router attached to it currently uses an adsl splitter faceplate

You need to ensure there are no stubs on the wiring carrying the ADSL signal. ( A stub is a cable that branches off from the main cable, the equivalent to a dead end side street from a main road ) Some of the ADSL signal will go down the stub, be reflected at the dead end and return to the main highway after a delay ( the time to travel along the stub ). The modem see the signal followed by an echo ( from the stub ) and this degrades the ADSL signal as seen by the modem / router.

Hence you get the best results by separating ADSL from voice phone signals at the NTE 5. Then you have as many stubs on the voice phone wiring as you like as they cannot affect the ADSL signal.

As I have access to the telephone line in each sockets. I was thinking on disconnecting both bedroom lines and seeing on what the router speed was at the main socket.

I am assuming this would say which line has a fault in it?

As bedroom one gets fed telephone cable from the lounge, would it be easier to just disconnect the wires from Bedroom One and then tie new cable to these ends and then gently pull the cable down to the lounge so that the old cable being removed is actually feeding the new cable through?

I really don't want to go lifting the laminate in bedroom one as I fear its glued but bedroom 2 is definitely not glued which makes it easier to lift up.

Would it be better to run Cat5 instead or telephone cable?

I am assuming this would say which line has a fault in it?
There doesn't have to be a fault in the wiring for the ADSL signal to be compromised. It is way the sockets are connected that affects the quality of the ADSL signal at the modem / router. Any Y or star configuration in the wiring creates stubs.

Since the ADSL signal is formated to use telephone quality cable the use of CAT cabling will not improve the signal and in some situations it can degrade / reduce the ADSL signal more than the same length of telephone cable would.

I found today that where the telepone cable leaves the Master Socket, it went to a cupboard. there was a small junction box where the cables linked.

All of the cables were linked except one. The all orange with white stripes, it wasn't connected properly and when I plugged the router to the master socket the speed upped to 4mb

Can you not have your router next to the master socket with one of the fore mentioned faceplates?

Then finish the job by fitting a filtered face plate and get rid of future problems from extension filters and extension phone circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back