Replacing joists / installing lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the upstairs joists in the kitchen below the third bedroom are rotten and some have bowed. Some of the joists are sitting on a wooden plate which has rotted and sits between the layers of bricks. I need to replace part of the plate but was it the best way of doing it?

Should I just remove all the joists and redo the entire bedroom floor? If so how do I do this - anchor bolt a new plate to the brick work and use jiffy hangers to hang new joists - if so what size plate / joists / anchor bolts / spacing etc.

Another problem issue is on opposite side of the kitchen - it seems the previous had double glazing installed but there is only a wooden lintel above the window frame. Above this there is the wooden plate which spans the length of the wall and supports the joists. Also above this is a stud wall which is further causing a large dip in the upstairs floor? How can I fix this? Should I rent some acrows, remove the joists, jack up the plate and then insert a concrete lintel?

Lastly it seems that the wall of the extension has come away from the rear of the house? Should I be concerned by this and what can I do to fix it - will sand and cementing over it be sufficient? I'm intending to have a boiler installed on that wall.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It may not be as rotten as you think. If it is oak, and it looks it to me, it can have enormous strength even when the outer faces have rotted away badly.
But the best advice I can give would be to have a professional person visit before you start propping up the floor and removing structural timbers.

It may not be as rotten as you think. If it is oak, and it looks it to me, it can have enormous strength even when the outer faces have rotted away badly.
But the best advice I can give would be to have a professional person visit before you start propping up the floor and removing structural timbers.

You will need to support it correctly before you remove anything.

Also,

The crack needs to be investigated.

Could be the foundations that have some movment.

You will need to support it correctly before you remove anything.

Also,

The crack needs to be investigated.

Could be the foundations that have some movment.

That's why I said he need's a professional to investigate before he does anything.

Sponsored Links
Surveyor said when I purchased the property that
"Although evidence of previous movement was apparent typical of a property of this age, we noted no evidence of recent significant movement to suggest problems at foundation level."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back