hanging joists from box lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, |I want to hang floor joists from a box lintel. At present the joists sit on top and I want to get rid of the box lintel hanging down into the room. The only way i can see of doing this is to remove a few courses of brick, push the lintel up and hang the joists from the lintel. I know I will need some tall boys to hold the wall above while i do this. I was looking at attaching a similar size joist onto the lintel and then hang the floor joists off this? If I do this, how do I tie the joist on the lintel, to the lintel?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
The lintel would have been selected [presumably] to carry the same load you intend, the only difference is where you intend to replace that load, i.e. on one side? as opposed to directly on top?

The name of these is strong boys, not tall boys just so you know. They either come as adaptions to adjustable props or integrated units themselves...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
The name of these is strong boys, not tall boys just so you know. They either come as adaptions to adjustable props or integrated units themselves...pinenot :)
Maybe he's planning to prop his wall up with a couple of wardrobes :p

Whatever you do, don't phone up and ask for a Tallboy to be dropped in

I meant Strong boys! What a plonker! sorry I have used them before as well...Thank you for all the info. Great help guys as always. :D

Nose all, You say, bolt a timber into the flange. Is it ok to drill through the flange? How many bolts would you suggest for a 3.4 m Span.

The alt is to notch joists level with the bottom flange and fit noggins between joists to fix all in place...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back