Country
United Kingdom
So I need to replace one of these:
IMG_20210625_210836_20210627_110141807.jpg

These are the replacements I'm looking at:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-appliance-trap-white-40mm/81714
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-wm15-appliance-trap-white-40mm/5849v

My questions are:

What is the difference between the two replacement traps shown in the links and can I use either?

And, what other accessories do I need to complete the job, eg tape, silicon glue etc

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. The WM15 has an adjustable (rotatable) inlet for appliance waste. It is also adjustable for length (drop). The other one is fixed horizontal.
2. I would suggest you use the WM15.
3. The connection from the trap to the waste pipe going through the wall may be an issue. The one you have at the moment could be push fit rather than compression. Can't really tell from the photograph. You might need some form of conversion to get the new trap to connect.
4. Subject to 3, above, you shouldn't need anything else.
5. Do you really need to replace it? Looks to me as if:
5a. The joint to the waste fitting is leaking. Might need a new rubber washer, might just need tightening up.
5b. The joint to the U bend is leaking. Looks as if the bottom white nut is on crooked / cross threaded. Might be possible to slacken all three nuts on main run of trap, remove bottom nut, refasten without cross threading then tighten all up.

As above, try removing all parts then cleaning, check rubber cone washers for damage and are on the pipe the correct way round. Should be nut on pipe>plastic backing washer>rubber cone with small end facing away from the nut. Assemble all fittings loose to start then go back to tighten all nuts.

3. The connection from the trap to the waste pipe going through the wall may be an issue. The one you have at the moment could be push fit rather than compression. Can't really tell from the photograph. You might need some form of conversion to get the new trap to connect.

Thanks for the detailed reply,

Few more pics how the trap connects to the waste pipe:

IMG_20210627_132249_20210627_132414937.jpg
IMG_20210627_132210_20210627_132359382.jpg
-----------

I think you guys are right it probably could be repaired/adjusted, but it would take more time than I have, especially if the repair/clean doesn't work + it stinks to high heaven. Easier to replace.

Sponsored Links
So the new trap will just screw on to the waste pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back