Replacing light dimmer switch, quick question about wattage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have two lights in one room controlled by a dimmer switch, I put two 20w energy saving bulbs in the sockets a while back (special ones that work with dimmers), but they'd often flicker at lower light levels and after a while the switch stopped working all together.

I later found out about how these dimmer switches have a minimum wattage requirement as well as a maximum.

My question is, if I buy a dimmer switch that has a minimum rating of 40w, will that be OK with two 20w rated energy saving bulbs? Or should I look to get a dimmer switch with an even lower minimum watt requirement just to be on the safe side?

Sponsored Links
My question is, if I buy a dimmer switch that has a minimum rating of 40w, will that be OK with two 20w rated energy saving bulbs? Or should I look to get a dimmer switch with an even lower minimum watt requirement just to be on the safe side?
Quite a lot of dimmers switches won't work with energy saving bulbs full stop.
If you buy a dimmer that has a min rating of 40w and buy two 20w bulbs then you might as well buy a standard switch because the lights will either be on or off.
Most dimmers have a range - to get the best out of the dimmer the total wattage should be nearer the maximum rather than the minimum.

Well I had noticed with the old switch that there wasn't much range in the light level when adjusting it but there was at least enough of one to make a difference.

A minimum rating of 40w so far seemed to be the only dimmer I could find though. Most others I've come across are rated 60w and above which just aren't going to work. I'll keep looking but presumably I need one that is rated a lot lower than 40w for it to be at least vaguely compatible, even if it doesn't produce very good light ranges.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back