Replacing light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all.

While in the process of decorating our hall, I want to replace the old light switch covers with new ones. I have a load left over from a few years back which were never used, but am not sure if I can use them.

The ones that are in place all have three connections - one at the top, and two at the bottom, and have a wire connecting into each.

My new covers have four connectors, two at the top and two at the bottom, and are described as "1 gang intermediate switch". The connectors are marked L1 L2 L3 L4.

Am I able to use my covers in place of the existing ones?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use an intermediate switch to replace your existing 2 way switches.

You need to link the top two terminals together with a piece of wire, and that effectively becomes your common terminal, and the bottom two are effectively your L1 and L2 terminals

RF Lighting said:
Yes you can use an intermediate switch to replace your existing 2 way switches.

You need to link the top two terminals together with a piece of wire, and that effectively becomes your common terminal, and the bottom two are effectively your L1 and L2 terminals

Thanks RF Lighting.

To confirm...

a) I link the top two (currently marked L1 and L2) together, and then also put the existing top wire into either one of these so that it's joined with the link?

b) I put the existing bottom two wires into the similar positions on my new switch, marked L3 and L4?

Absolute tosh RF...

you don't need to connect the 2 top terminals together.. that defeats the object as both output wires will be live all the time regardless of the switch position..

just use 1 on the top and 2 at the bottom.. doesn't matter which top one you use..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
Absolute tosh RF...

you don't need to connect the 2 top terminals together.. that defeats the object as both output wires will be live all the time regardless of the switch position..

just use 1 on the top and 2 at the bottom.. doesn't matter which top one you use..

Haha! That's what's great about internet forums... no one agrees!

Now I have a choice to make, so any other thoughts appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back