Replacing long joists in garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have a garage with flat roof neglected for years hence the joists are rotting away, I need to replace them but only problem is these joists are 5.3 metres long! I've not seen any timber this long anywhere, longest is 4.2 metres so I was wondering is it possible to join two 3 metre joists together to create one long piece? Would it sag? Would it buckle? Would it be strong enough? Btw the garage dimensions are 5.3m x 7.1m. Also the 18mm ply would all need to be replaced and covered with roof paint and fibreglass. It's gonna be expensive I guess but it's got to be done. Would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
6m timber readily available.
EPDM would be a cheaper easier diy option.
What's roof paint?

Byroof paint I meant the top coat after resin fibreglassetc is applied which comes in various colours. Sorry what's EPDM, how is it applied?

Google it or YouTube , lots of vids, rubber sheet , one piece , glued to ply. 40+ year life.

Sponsored Links
Any good woodyard will supply those timbers, but no, you couldn't join 2 timbers together. And thanks Foxhole, I checked Youtube, and it was damned impressive; looking at it, it's much easier than fibreglass.

It also looks as though they are using OSB, which should be cheaper than ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back