Replacing mains into property.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Aftr a bit of info as need to relocate my stopcock in house due to renovation, and plan to do away with the old steel water mains from the water boards stopcock to the house one.

My plan is to have the ground dug up to the required depth around the existing mains (hoping the route is not that difficult to follow. Lay the new pipe into the house and site the new stopcock.

Am i right in thinking that its the water boards responsibility to inspect the trench for correct depth and then connect the new pipe to there stopcock? Assume they will replace this with a meter at this point as well!!!!

Whats the pipe to use, Is the preffered type the blue MDPE? What is the best/correct size?

I am thinking then that I will need to take copper from this and tee into the original cold supply to the upstairs bathroom and feed to cold water store for cylinder? All pipe work in the house has been changed to copper over the years, the only steel is from the water boards stop cock to mine.

Hope this makes sense and await your replies.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Am i right in thinking that its the water boards responsibility to inspect the trench for correct depth and then connect the new pipe to their supply?

Yes, and there will be a charge too.
:(

Assume they will replace this with a meter at this point as well!!!!
Not sure if this is standard now.

Is the preffered type the blue MDPE? What is the best/correct size?
25 mm MDPE

I will need to take copper from this and tee into the original cold supply

Use a 25mm to 15 mm stoptap on the MDPE pipe and away you go. :D

I would recommend likewise with the 25mm MDPE but i would retain my current stop-tap.
I would run the MDPE up to short of the stop-tap where i would use a 'Plasson' fitting to convert from plastic 25mm to copper 22mm. The remaining pipe-work not changed.

Good-luck

Thanks for all the advice on this, I can not retain the current stopcock as renovation and building work would mean it being stuck in the middle of a opened up room! Hence new pipework in the first place. I need to move the whole supply into the ouse to where the new kitchen area will be, not sure if that makes sense!!

Sponsored Links
MOving the whole thing isn't a problem. All the house plumbing will have to comply with current Watr Regs. SIze of pipe delpends on size of house, length, pressure etc. 32mm isn't much dearer than 25, but the stopcocks would be. You pay more for a bigger connection to the mains in the road.
Depends...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back