Replacing missing side rails for cot/bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has reached the age where we convert his cot to a bed. However the side rails appear to have been lost in our fairly recent house move.

Can anyone recommend how to make or replace the missing 2 rails?

The rails look like fairly simple lengths of timber, with holes for the bolts in the correct places at their ends (2 per rail end). The actual slats for the mattress are supported on fittings that go into the head and foot, therefore not requiring attachment to the rails.

Here is the existing cot. The cot head and foot splits in half, and the lower half is removed and not required for the bed. You can see the spacing for the rail boltholes can be determined by the holes in head and foot.

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Get some of these https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=TmjWU-yjCOnH8gfZnoD4AQ#q=wood+thread+insert & 2 lengths of wood to the correct dimensions. If you are unsure of how to instal them have a look at u tube there are some good vids on there.

Thanks for that,I'll take a look.

Any thought's on the type of wood (just pine softwood form b and q?) And how to treat, varnish it?

Obviously I don't want it splintering etc when my son is sleeping, dribbling, doing general things that 2 year olds do...

Yes just planed up softwood should do as it will be easier to work with but if you can get some beech that would be better. A coat of clear lacquer should be fine.

Sponsored Links
FWIW - I recently got a cot for free on Freegle, in good condition etc.
Only problem was that when it was converted to the bed, the side runners were put in a safe place - and we all knows what happens to stuff put in a safe place - it can never be found again.

So I have gone about looking for replacement slide rail fittings for a mothercare Hampshire cot bed (looks similar to that one) and it will cost more to buy these fittings than it will to simply look on ebay and get another complete cot bed.

Still - I have 8 months to sort it out :)

Good luck with yours.

Well I went out and bought some lengths of pine, stain and lacquer... and some t nuts and bolts, which were all that was available on short notice.

If I'm brave enough I'll post up the results (or comeback for more advice).

Thanks for all your contributions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back