Replacing mixer in wall - It is a super precision task as implied by my plumber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lately I have been having problems with my Boiler (PulsaCoil ECO from 2019). We tried everything from replacing elements and sensors, repressuring etc...
Basically, there is never enough hot water for a shower. In 5 minutes, the water runs cold.
Despite cold water in the shower, there is still hot water at the kitchen taps, which lead my plumber to conclude that there is a problem with the mixer in the wall. My plumber said this is a super precision involved job that could take 2 weeks. However, he is not free for another 3 months to do the work.
I would like to get another plumber to do the job, but I am nervous as we have had a lot of plumbers trying to sort this issue out, and in the end they just ended up blaming each other...
Is it really such a precision task that few can do well?

Sponsored Links
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• mixer.jpeg
    mixer.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Depends what's behind that plate, worst case, tiles needs to be removed. 2 weeks to do what exactly?

Do you get hot water at the bath filler below?

It could be a faulty cartridge, which surely should be servicable by taking the faceplate off

2 weeks is crazy, he probably doesn't want that job and is chancing his luck to see if you would pay him for 2 weeks work

The fact he even said 2 weeks shows you need to find someone else regardless.

It looks an old valve I doubt if you would get a replacement. And that's if you can identify the brand and model

We have done a few recently that we replaced the whole valve but we could get access from behind.

we

we get hot water for circa 5-10 minutes.
Surely if the bath filler behaves in the same way the fault isn't in the shower mixer.

Where is the hot water drawn off from the tank? Our showers were fed from half way down the tank and used to run out of hot water very quickly when we had visitors (lots of showers).

Just to clarify too, the Pulsacoil isn't a boiler, it's a thermal store that's heated by a primary heat source (gas/oil boiler?)

If the bath filler does the same then I'd be looking into the supplies and as suggested look into where the feeds are from that supplies the bath/shower. I'd also be looking under the bath to see how the bath filler is supplied and if it is separate.

A little more investigation required first before any fault and therefore timescales could be suggested methinks.

Just to clarify too, the Pulsacoil isn't a boiler, it's a thermal store that's heated by a primary heat source (gas/oil boiler?)

If the bath filler does the same then I'd be looking into the supplies and as suggested look into where the feeds are from that supplies the bath/shower. I'd also be looking under the bath to see how the bath filler is supplied and if it is separate.

A little more investigation required first before any fault and therefore timescales could be suggested methinks.
Thank you. Didn't realise until now, but the bath taps work just fine. So the boiler is ok. It's probably the mixer, which I hear is an involved job. Is there a way to find the right plumber for the job? I guess I should look for someone who advertises themselves as a bathroom installer...

It could be a faulty cartridge, which surely should be servicable by taking the faceplate off

2 weeks is crazy, he probably doesn't want that job and is chancing his luck to see if you would pay him for 2 weeks work

The fact he even said 2 weeks shows you need to find someone else regardless.
Yeah. I think this is the avenue I am going to focus on for now. I have ordered a replacement cartridge. Fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back