Replacing old lock or cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed a spare key (already have three) for a Yale lock I fitted to the front door more than 30 years ago. The key is only copyable by Yale who require my signature before doing the job. Two problems here:
1. They charge a fortune (about £40 I think, was £5.75 once)
2. They are not doing keys anyway due to Coronavirus.
Next best thing is to replace the cylinder with one that uses easily copyable keys. It looks like euro size, and according to a couple of Youtube videos replacing the cylinder should be fairly straightforward; undo the M5 screw on the baseplate that secures the cylinder, wiggle the old one out with the key, slide in new cylinder, secure it with the screw.
But my lock has no such screw, just two woodscrews attaching the lock to the wood. Even if I removed those, the lock itself would presumably be held in by the cylinder.
Please advise! I don't have the original lock packaging but I have the diagram that came with it giving the hole dimensions required. On this I have written the lock model: Yale Titan M3000 Mark 2.
Pics of the lock:
Lock1.JPG

Lock2.JPG

Sponsored Links
On my lock, that plate that says 'Yale' is a cover plate, not the lock itself.
If that is the case, the eurolock release screw might be under that plate.
SFK

Thanks SFK that's it! The two screws are not woodscrews but short screws that attach the plate. Tomorrow I will take that middle screw out and attempt to get the cylinder out.
Lock3.JPG

Yale Titan used to be their top-of-the-range lock. It must go back 30 years or more so it might not be compatible with if modern Eurolocks, but worth a try.

You could probably buy a complete new lock for the price of one Titan key.

Sponsored Links
Before you remove the locating screw make sure you have the key in the lock or the internal pins may drop out of alignment.
No problem if you have a new lock that definitely fits but, as JohnD says, new locks may not be compatible with old style models.

Before you remove the locating screw make sure you have the key in the lock or the internal pins may drop out of alignment.
No problem if you have a new lock that definitely fits but, as JohnD says, new locks may not be compatible with old style models.
Conny I didn't think the locating screw went anywhere near the pins....more so as there are two sets of six (?) pins in the two end-to-end locks. Certainly nothing fell apart when I removed the barrel and took it to the locksmith. But in any case the problem is solved....will post the denouement now...

Problem is solved. I took the barrel to the locksmith and he gave me a replacement. I wasn't confident as my barrel had a split cam whereas his had a single paddle-like cam. He had never seen a split cam on this sort of lock. Anyway, took the replacement home and the supplied keys would not turn it when it was fitted in the Yale lock. So the split cam must be an essential feature of Titan locks, for whatever reason. (I wish I had taken a picture of this split cam...apologies for not doing so). Returned to locksmith and he phoned a few friends. One of them advised Titan keys can in fact be copied, and I had three done. The new copies have a sort of K logo are stamped www(dot)keyline(dot)it and Made In Italy. They have a single lengthwise groove cf the two grooves on the original Yale keys, but they work fine.

Calculus, I don't know much about these locks to be honest but I had to swap one round a few months ago in work and was told I must, (emphasised to me), keep the key in the whilst doing so or the pins would mis-align.
Glad you got it sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back