Replacing old R50 downlights for MR16 spotlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - not sure if in the right forum -
I have 2 old brass R50 downlights in my hallway - very ancient looking.
I would like to upgrade them to modern MR16 spotlight (halogen bulbs)

What would be the best way to fill in the gap? -
R50 is approx 5 inches width - new MR16 is 3 inches.

Not being the best person at DIY - can I use normal filler out of a tube and sand it down, paint then install new one?

Other advice given to me was to leave it and replace with a Downlight Adapter Plate – this takes the new MR16 but the plate looks too big

Appreciate any help/advice

All the best Gary

Sponsored Links
The way you suggested Parkie, using filler, really wont work. I don't know what the ceiling is made of, but if it's plasterboard, i think it would be far easier to relocate the new smaller light/s,, up or down the hallway,, just a few inches away from where they are now, and fill in the old larger holes altogether.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the advice Roughcaster.
To be completely honest - I’m an amateur - how would you advise me to fill the holes in (best product) - without knocking up plaster manually?
All the best Parkie

Hi

I would do as roughcaster sugested and relocate the new lights far enough away from the origionals to give you a solid housing.

As for the old holes, what I have done in the past is cut a couple of small battens about 4" larger than the diameter of the hols and fit these up inside, one on each side, using either gripfill or screws, then cut a piece of plaster board to fill the hole, this can then be either screwed of glued to the battens, a light skim or filler and job done.... :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

I would do as roughcaster sugested and relocate the new lights far enough away from the origionals to give you a solid housing.

As for the old holes, what I have done in the past is cut a couple of small battens about 4" larger than the diameter of the hols and fit these up inside, one on each side, using either gripfill or screws, then cut a piece of plaster board to fill the hole, this can then be either screwed of glued to the battens, a light skim or filler and job done....
:)

I agree with that advice Captain and would do it in a very similar way... ;)
It's easy to make a smaller hole bigger, but difficult in this case to make the bigger hole smaller. :confused: By the time you batten/fill the original hole to reduce the diameter, it might obstruct the new light/clips, from fitting up into the ceiling.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back