Repairing Downlighter Hole....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have four of the old size R63 lamp downlighters. The holes are approx 105mm.

What is the best way of making the holes smaller so I can replace the downlighters with modern, GU10 style lights that seem to only require a hole 60-80mm ? I know there are some "special" wide downlighters that will cover the hole but they have no swivel option that I would like

I assume some sort of filler is out as the new lamps would need to clip onto an edge ?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Get a rectangle of plaster-board and cut your holes out to suit your "Spots." Cut your ceiling to the size of the rectangle and on the back of your rectangle (you have cut) stick 2 strips of plaster-board on the long edges with an inch over hanging put some adhesive on the inch strips and put it up in the hole you have cut and pull it down on to the ceiling and let it set. You might have to scrape back around the join with a stanley so you can put some scrim tape over the join and unibond it and bring it level with skim.... Hope you can understand this procedure but it is hard to explain.. Any queries just ask ;)

Wow...thanks Roy. I was thinking about putting some wooden battens to screw/stick the replacement square onto but your method is much easier and less fiddly.

I assume the square will be a couple of mm inside the existing ceiling hence the need to run a light skim to make up the difference ? I understand your description though....nice and clear. Must remember the scrim tape as well to bridge the join.

I spent a year, many moons ago doing dry lining, in some new flats in Torquay...it a long story....I loved using the "plaster & tape bazooka" to apply the tape and plaster to the joints of the plasterboard....ah ..happy days

Glad you understood TG I watched a dry lining crew a few years ago using them tape and adhesive guns, never done dry-lining, a different skill. My only dry-lining consists of feathering in "Easi_fill" ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Its pretty easy but once you start you have to keep going. I used to stud the walls and put up the plasterboard as well. The real plasterers used to to do the ceilings of course.

I used to be an electrician but the firm I was working for were short handed on the dry lining side so I pitched in.....those Hilti guns were SO much fun.

Thanks for the advice Roy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back