downlight hole slightly too large

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have cut the downlight hole in a plasterboard ceiling to the correct diameter except that turned out slightly too large (should have made it a bit small and then sanded away at it...) what can i do about it? the hole should be maybe 2-3mm smaller around to stop the downlight falling down slightly. can i just use filler on a mastic gun around the edge (fire risk?!?) or do i need to fill the hole in completely with gyproc and cut it out again?

cheers

Sponsored Links
So you didn't cut it to the correct diameter?

If you want the downlighter in the same place then you may need to cut an area away which includes the oversized hole, replace the cut away board, reskim the area and be more careful with your next attempt!

Is it possible to change the downlighters to ones that use a larger diameter hole?

If you just pack the area where the springs sit the against the plaster board then they should grip correctly.

So you didn't cut it to the correct diameter?

That depends on your point of view, I cut it to the size recommended by the instructions using a hole saw and measured the result (when it didn't fit), but since it's not the right size to hold the light, no I didn't cut to the correct diameter. It does recommend in the instructions on step 5 that I make the hole smaller than the recommended size in step 1 then file it down, but it tells you to cut the hole out in step 1, so I did before reading step 5.

If you just pack the area where the springs sit the against the plaster board then they should grip correctly.

Good idea, thanks chief.

Sponsored Links
I'm in a similar position though not because I gut it too big.

When changing the lamp a load of the plasterboard crumbled and fell away leaving the unit hole that's too big, not perfectly round and has a ragged edge of plasterboard and the paper (?) that was left behind.

Any suggestions?
Is it even worth thinking about trying to build it back up? It probably needs over a CM in places.

if any of it is visible around the bezel of the fitting then it is prob best to chop a square of the ceiling away to the nearest joists and screw a new peice of plaster board in place, get it skimmed and re drill the hole.

As mentioned the best method is to cut a chunk of p/board out between the rafters and fit a new bit, skim and re-cut the hole.

An alternative is to get a 150 x 150 square of p/board pyt the correct sized hole in that. Then cut in half, glue it and then feed the 2 x halfs in to the existing hole.

Once the glue has set you can then re plaster and trim the area back so the new plaster area matches the new hole space.

OK. I've got a plasterer mate coming round week after next to skim another room. I guess I'll just get him to do it.

This is my first adventure with down lights. I've managed to avoid them up 'til now (normally by having old houses). I have to say I'm not hugely impressed with the fundemental idea. Surely those clippy things will always wear the plasterboard away - metal will always win vs. plaster. And once it's worn away it seems a right faff to replace. Maybe I'm just grumpy becaus ethis one's spoilt my Sunday so far.

Surely those clippy things will always wear the plasterboard away - metal will always win vs. plaster.
Nope, because they dont move. If they moved, yeah they would wear the plaster away. There are much bigger, heavier fittings held up by the same method, on weaker surfaces (thinking those big energy saving PL downlights in banks etc, on polystyrene ceilings - they have a ballast unit and normally some suspended glass attached too).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back