Downlight replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to replace some of the downlights in my shower room. These are adjustable downlights with 82mm cut outs. The downlights I would like recommend 72mm cut outs ( as they are fixed ). Is there any way that this can be achieved.

Could I fit the 72mm downlight in the existing hole as the diameter of the lip is 90mm so it would still seal against the ceiling. Also, would the spring in the downlight not keep the downlight pulled up towards the ceiling?

Thanks for you time.

Steve

Sponsored Links
It depends on the downlight and the type of fixing. Some grip the inside of the fixing hole, so oversized holes are hopeless. Over-sized holes never really work properly.
The proper way is to make new holes, the correct size, and have the ceiling re-plastered.

Or you could use hole converters - Google "Downlight Hole Converters"

Or buy downlights that fit the existing holes! :mrgreen:

Or fill the holes in completely, make good, and buy lights actually designed to do the job of lighting up rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back