wrong cut out for ceiling downlights - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

Electricians have done wrong cut out (72mm instead of 62mm) in my ceiling and the downlight rim edges the hole now :eek: . Ceiling is about 5 cm thick. How can i fix it?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Buy bigger downlighters

Patch each hole with plasterboard, and have the ceiling replastered.

Buy bigger downlighters

Smart fix but not an option due to design restrictions!

Patch each hole with plasterboard, and have the ceiling replastered.

I can't believe that no easier way to reduce slightly the cut out exist??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Did the electrician have required information regarding the hole size or did you tell him/her it was 72mm?
If they had the info then ask them how they're going to fix it.

I'm sure I've seen adapter rings somewhere designed for fitting smaller downlighters into larger holes.

Whether I imagined it, or if they would be economic I have no idea.

This metric stuff confuses me. Your ceilings are 2" thick? What are they made of, and how do the downlighters grip the hole? (Even if it were the correct size.)

You need some flexible and heatproof material about 5mm thick (and 5 cm deep?) formed in a circle and glued into place (don't ask what at the moment). TheN finish the surface. With a little care it can be done.

tbh,if you didnt cut the holes,its not really your problem.thats why your sparks have insurance ;)

Did the electrician have required information regarding the hole size or did you tell him/her it was 72mm?

Told them first thing, thats why im so annoyed at them. It's only 5 holes that are wrong, remaining 5 are ok, thats why i cant change the whole thing.

This metric stuff confuses me. Your ceilings are 2" thick? What are they made of, and how do the downlighters grip the hole? (Even if it were the correct size.)

You need some flexible and heatproof material about 5mm thick (and 5 cm deep?) formed in a circle and glued into place (don't ask what at the moment). TheN finish the surface. With a little care it can be done.

2" yep! I'm in a top flat I got loft above me. Downlights grip thru rolled springs they go up in the hole and hold the downlight from above the ceiling. What you are suggesting is what I need.
The downlight stays in place BUT the hole rim is VISIBLE and looks cheap. Even if i plaster the gap next time i pull the fitting down to replace the lamp the plaster goes!

tbh,if you didnt cut the holes,its not really your problem.thats why your sparks have insurance ;)

I won't look for a contentious unless they wld come up with a cosmetically acceptable fix. Thats why I'm asking around if there is any solution like the one suggested by KES

Told them first thing, thats why im so annoyed at them. It's only 5 holes that are wrong, remaining 5 are ok, thats why i cant change the whole thing.

There you go then, ask them how THEY are going to rectify it, it's not your problem and nor should it be!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back