wrong cut out for ceiling downlights - help!

If you or your sparks has one of these all is not lost.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/24300/Drill-Bits/Holesaws/Hole-Cutters/Adjustable-Hole-Cutter-40-205mm

My wife changed her mind on some down lighters so I ended up with the same problem. :cry:

From a sheet of 12.5mm plaster board I used the cutter to make plugs that were a tight fit in the holes. I then used a PVA glue to fix the plugs in the holes. The next day I very gingerly used to cutter to drill the plugs and form the new holes.

I set the plugs back slightly so when they were made good the joints were lost.

Sponsored Links
Nice solution :D

I have the Draper version of one of those, and it is a very nice piece of kit. No more plaster in the hair and eyes!

Anyone got any bright ideas when a hole needs to be made bigger, since most of the holesaws rely on a central positioning drill bit? Using one of those just ends up in a mess, and enlarging them with a holesaw is a pain. I have a spiral saw but that really DOES make a mess....

on a side note, I thought downlighters had gone out of fashion. Seems everyone is starting to put them in again :confused:

Anyone got any bright ideas when a hole needs to be made bigger
sometimes you can stack two holesaws on the same core allowing the smaller one to act as a guide for the larger one.

I have a reload holesaw which allows you to stack holesaws for enlarging existing holes.

@ OP,

IMGP1551.jpg

;)

Sponsored Links
thats a (blurry quick crappy fone) picture. U can see the gap all along the fitting rim. As you can see the fitting is still held flat against the ceiling ie is not floppy at all. The gap is not a lot, only few mm BUT equally still not acceptable.
Anyway, i've gathered enough information and arguments which I will use this week when electricians come to finish the job. Thanks!!

22022008632.jpg

If you complain to the sparks and dont get as satisfactory resolve then small claims threat should work, alternatively are they a member of the NIC ? if so complain to them and then the NIC will have to honour the repairs.

Unless they come up with a good fix, 133-01-01 means that any EIC they issue is fraudulent....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back