Downlight hole too big

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I recently just bought house and replacing the light bulb and its holder to gu10 as currently it was too dim at just 2 watts.

I noticed most of the downlights have some issue with size, some too tight, some too big, i can see all were filled nearly with filler then painted around.

I saw the plaster board is different type, not techincal but it has strips of wood along the plaster board everywhere so can assume it must be pain to cut circle.

My question is do i attempt to fill all holes and create new ones? (30 downlights in total) or do i do the previous method of fill the holes again after adding light with filler?

Please advice

thanks

Sponsored Links
I recently just bought house and replacing the light bulb and its holder to gu10 as currently it was too dim at just 2 watts.
No brighter bulbs available for those fittings?

I saw the plaster board is different type, not techincal but it has strips of wood along the plaster board everywhere
Sounds like lath & plaster, not plasterboard.

so can assume it must be pain to cut circle.
Oh yes.

My question is do i attempt to fill all holes and create new ones? (30 downlights in total) or do i do the previous method of fill the holes again after adding light with filler?
I advise Plan C - fill all the holes and fit a much smaller number of proper lights which are actually designed to light rooms.

can assume it must be pain to cut circle.

How dare you assume!!! Don't choose to assume, until you have mastered the art of...
going down ta' Screwfix! :p

Joking aside, it's a pain indeed if you would use a jigsaw, which is not recommended; when all you have to do is buy a hole cutter attachment for a standard drill, that'll cut through your plasterboard AND the wood strips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 231
Sponsored Links
the current light is not LED so wanted LED hence got new bulbs.

PLan c looks good just bit extra work lol but may have to in order to get good finish

some holes are perfect and some hols have up to 10mm but not necessary all round just on one side it can be big.

Lol crystalclear, i think have to leave that for my dad being a carpenter, but he on holiday for 3 months!!

ohhh to add, the cables are sooo damn short as well so not sure if i can actually fill holes and re-locate. The previous owner has done major shabby job, like theres no connector strips cables are bare and not even used electric tapes. I am not a DIY person dont have clue but can see how dodgy the work is!!! ill post some pictures tomorrow lol!

I used to use a rotary cutter to cut the plaster off the lath, then a fine-toothed padsaw.

Finally, I used to "seal" the edge with bonding mixed with PVA to stop it "fraying".

There speaks somebody who has never tried to cut lath & plaster! LOL

You really need two holesaws... an old or cheap one to get through the plaster (it'll blunt it quickly) and a half decent one to do the laths (it'll burn the wood and cut salowly if you use the blunt one... and then snap them in a rough manner when you get ****ed off and force the rill as its getting nearly through...)

I've always put PVA in the edges, but secure's idea of bonding coat with PVA sounds a good plan, make sure PVA is kept away from the finished surface though... or you'll regret it when its time to paint!

If you do the same with one of teh fein multimaster tool clones you can get, then you can cut drylining boxes into lath and plaster walls (or ceilings if you were so inclined)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back