Replacing older upvc door glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am contemplating replacing blown leaded 4.12.4 dg units and changing the lower solid upvc panel to glass on my front door.
I know the “E” gasket on the outside has to be removed in order to remove the inner beads but when refitting is it done in reverse order?
I have removed a short length of seal and it seems difficult to engage the arrow on the seal into the grove in the door if it was fitted last.
Any help would be appreciated 6F53448C-4724-4A5E-8E15-D1E1FE68A686.jpeg699B4541-5C9B-4F24-B534-0B056D64F2A2.png

Sponsored Links
are you sure the e gasket needs to come out? i wouldn't normally exepct an e gasket to be removed , as you'd never get the ' arrow ' back in the correct groove on the pvc profile, normally its a wedge gasket. Its also unusual ( but can happen ) to see a removable gasket outside on internally beaded frames. Personally, i t think , if you are removing the e gasket , you will have to refit the ' arrow' back in the groove on the pvc profile before you refit the bead

As Ronnie says, E gaskets stay in situ, they are a lot softer that wedge gasket and thus have more give in them allowing the beads to release, the arrow head is to locate it in the groove and you'd never get it to do that if the glass is fitted, E gasket goes in first then glass then beads

Thank you both. The door I think is from the 80’s or 90’s , the seals have shrunk in length ,gone hard as hell so theres no give to speak of so I’ll be replacing them. I’ll remove the seals first which should cause less strain removing the beads but now thanks to your collective help I now know to fit the new seals back into their groves ,then fit the beads.
There are 6 x 6ft and 2 x 4ft windows gone the same way:mad:

Sponsored Links
Yes remove the old gasket first by all means and it'll loosen the glass and help removing the bead but then the new E gasket needs to go in first

I am having difficulty finding a suitable “E” gasket to replace the old ones in the door and 10 other windows panes which need new DG units replacing.
I have sent for sample packs and while I can match the profile in shape they are not chunky enough in size.
There is a Rehau part number, 863990 E 1 97, on the seals but a phone call to the company drew a blank...any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• D07587E7-A8E5-4863-83B8-44CC1C6E95E2.jpeg
    D07587E7-A8E5-4863-83B8-44CC1C6E95E2.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back