Replacing or painting sky dish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If i was to replace or paint my ageing sky dish, if i was to remove it and replace it with a new dish is there an easy way to make sure it's set up the same or would i need someone to set it all again and check the signal? I don't have the equipment for this.

Sponsored Links
Take pictures, do measurements, mark the bracket at each joint.

The Sky box has a signal meter built in.

leave it and spray in situ as said. you can pick up a satellite signal with a dustbin lid with an LNB appropriately positioned.. speaks volumes.

Sponsored Links
leave it and spray in situ as said. you can pick up a satellite signal with a dustbin lid with an LNB appropriately positioned.. speaks volumes.
Any particular type of spray paint ??

I seem to recall someone some where saying do not use gloss paint. ( Matt or semi gloss instead)

Take pictures, do measurements, mark the bracket at each joint.

The Sky box has a signal meter built in.

The correct way to do it.

Can you imagine trying to spray paint a Sky dish on the side of a house? Up a ladder. In the wind. Spray paint everywhere. Fisheyes on the paintwork.

You can buy a satellite finder meter for about £8.

http://www.systemsat.co.uk/satellit...ZgRtTvyhc_92zVEhA7UmChFqLILeHRLIaAsWHEALw_wcB.

Or there are various apps you can download that will tell you where to point the satellite dish.

Take it down and paint it or replace it. Its not difficult to realign it.
Yep. The cheap meters don't tell you what satellite you're pointing at, but you can get that from the Sky box. Once it's on the right satellite then the meter works fine for doing a line-up.

I'll go with the matt spray finish or a new dish then depending on how bad it is once close up. From what i have read it seems to be ok to remove and refit without altering the signal too much. Thanks everyone.

I recently found out the reason why my newly bought house had two sat dishes, the previous owner was an elderly gentleman and he managed to write off the first dish by painting it (I'm guessing he used some kind of metal based paint) he must have not been arsed to take it down so he just put a new one up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back