Replacing oven and microwave with combi oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a flat with a relatively small kitchen. It has the normal arrangement of hob with a traditional oven in the cabinet underneath. The microwave is a stand-alone and takes up most of the free space in the counter top.

Been thinking about ways to make more space on the counter top. In an ideal world there would be a double oven that would go in the cabinet under the hob, where one oven would be a normal electric oven and the other would be a microwave.

As I've been unable to find such an oven, I was wondering if replacing the normal oven for a combination oven (something like https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/smaksak-microwave-combi-with-forced-air-stainless-steel-40411896/ ) may be the solution. I am mindful that these ovens are smaller than the traditional ovens, which is probably OK as, when we use the normal electrical oven, we mostly use only one shelf. However, just wanted to check if there are any other reasons why this may not be a great idea. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only thing that springs to mind for me is bending over to use a microwave as opposed to the convenience of it being on a worktop. I am of course presuming that you use the microwave more than the oven. As I suffer from back problems a microwave on the worktop is a godsend for me.

Thanks. Actually, the bending over is not a minor issue (my back is also not amazing), but can probably live with it. I'm assuming that, other than the smaller size, these ovens perform the same way as any normal electrical oven, right?

However, just wanted to check if there are any other reasons why this may not be a great idea. Thanks

As above, plus if your one box solution becomes faulty....

Could you perhaps mount the microwave above the work top, on a shelf, or do what I did years ago, buy and fix some brackets?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Actually, the bending over is not a minor issue (my back is also not amazing), but can probably live with it. I'm assuming that, other than the smaller size, these ovens perform the same way as any normal electrical oven, right?
No experience of them so don't know the way they work specifically, I think you will need to look carefully at the features they offer ( grill, fan, auto-timer etc. etc.) & the technical spec. of the model before buying, but basically I think they must have a heating element or elements that heats the cavity & a waveguide that heats the contents of the cavity by micro waves. But I stand to be corrected on that.

As above, plus if your one box solution becomes faulty....

Could you perhaps mount the microwave above the work top, on a shelf, or do what I did years ago, buy and fix some brackets?
Thought about this but actually the space between the current MW and the cabinet is so limited that I wouldn't really gain any space. Also, would probably need to drill through some tiles, which is not ideal.

More or less, yes, just smaller. Mine, which is never used other than as a microwave, has microwave, grill element, then a fan blown element tucked away, so it acts as a sort of air fryer/oven. I think the cooking modes can be combined via the program.

It was just bought as a backup, to the gas oven failing, but only ever needed as a microwave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back