Replacing plasterboard sheets?

T16

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I really hope someone can help.

I want to replace some boards in some of the rooms in the house...

I thought about removing one in each room so I can fit a big bit of ply behind so I can fit new radiators and not worry about positioning.

Also in a few rooms the board around sockets etc is a real mess of filler and broken bits too...

The house is Ames taped, so the question is can I go around and start replacing bits of board, and then still have the ability to Ames tape to the already decorated boards?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why do the boards need replacing?
if there is only superficial damage, have all the walls plaster finished. As for hanging the rads, cut in to the boards and fit some nogins in to the correct location this can then have a piece of board fitted to fill the hole, taped and finished with the rest of the walls.

I just thought it would be easier and result in a better finish if I just whacked up a new board.

Tbh there are a few cables to run in each room too, and removal of the one board behind the rad in each room would help with this.

Also I have to replace some boards on the landing/stairwell that are split and cracked right through.

Rather than replace whole walls at a time, can I just remove the Ames tape and the old board, and just replace the boards that are damaged?

Surely if I remove the Ames tape carefully this should be possible?

Sponsored Links
It's possible, you may tear some of the paper of the plasterboards and you will need to remove the jointing compound that remains on the other board to get back down to your taper edge, there could also be damage to the ceiling board too, if your not careful with the tapes ripping into them.
So I would consider trying, to cut through the tapes on the joints with a stanley knife, to help prevent damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back