Replacing plastic light switch with a metal one - Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently bought a house and am doing some decorating and I wish to change the standard plastic light switches with some new chrome ones, my question is..... Its a 70s build house and I have taken the switch off and there does seem to be an earth wire connected to the metal back box so can i assume it is earthed? how would I check, I do have a digital multimeter but its been many years since I used one and never for mains voltage.

Thanks for your help,

OracleUK

Sponsored Links
Earths are checking via continuity setting of a multi meter.

Best test would be to get a suitable length of cable to use as a flying lead.

Get cable and measure the ohm value of the lead, lets say it's 0.3 ohms.

Now put one end of lead on the main property earth / main earthing point (or MET), put the other end of the lead on one of the multimeter probes, then the other on the earth you wish to check.

If the earth your checking is terminated correctly you will have a decent ohm reading (very low when you take the lead value off) because you have made a continuity loop due to:-

Main earth- lead- multi meter- earth being checked- terminated earth- back to CU and then back to MET

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back