Replacing Pressure Relief Valve

That's OK sogggy_weetabix

Is it possible to get some advice on the earlier post I made on actually changing the PRV and filling loop - question again was:

I think I will attempt to replace on Sunday. Please could you advise on:

1. Draining water out of the system - best way to do it and how much water to expect to drain out before I commence work? How do I know how much to drain out.

2. What tools for the job do I need?

3. PRV - How do I disconnect the old one without damaging anything.
Would fitting of the new PRV be the reversal? How should I have the black knob turned - left or right when I fit it?

*I have look at the actual PRV i need to replace and notice 2 metal clips connecting the PRV to the pipework. Would it be a case of unclipping and sliding the PRV off?

4. Filling loop - the valve/key bit is slightly different to the one currently fitted to the boiller - I would expect it to do the same job [it has a directional flow arrow of it - do I assume this needs to be pointing down] Also would it be correcdt in saying that I only need to replace the left side of the filling loop as that is the only part that is leaking water - saves me changing the right conenction]

I think my PRV is well and truely knackered as it is dripping quite fast outside and I would appreciate some tips to make teh job easier.

Your opinions and advice much appreciated as always

Sponsored Links
shut of the cold main to the boiler (cos it is passing) open the prv until the pressure is at 0 and no water is dripping outside.Remove the 2 clips and the fitting attached to the copper pipe.There will still be a bit of water so put a towel down/cover electrics.Re-asemble in reverse.
Remove the Part of the filling loop on the cold main and replace.The arrow should be facing the way the water would be going to fill the boiler (towards the boiler flow/return pipe) Only change the fitting on the Flow/Return if you notice there is water coming from it.To do this you would need to drain the heating down.

Can I just close the stop clock on my mains - will that close the cold water to the boiler?

To release the water through the PRV - Does teh water drip or flow out of the pipe outside?

thanks

Will attempt later on when I come back from shopping

Yes, you can use the house stopcpock.

Water should shoot outside while the pressure's up, going down to a trickle. Can take quite a while to stop dribbling.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know how to get the W/B PRV off

I have taken the clips out but I can't seem to get it off.

Do I pull it off?

I don't want to tug on it too hard

It looks like the right side of the PRV joins onto a push fit elbow?
[see picture in this post]

I have drained the water out of the PRV

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back