Replacing Quarry Tile Floor With Screed / Concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's end of terrace house which I am currently renovating. The kitchen floor had broken quarry tiles laid on an sand and earth. I have currently dug this out to about 7"'s.

I am not looking for something super tough, just something that is stable and within a good budget / easy and quick to lay. The total area to cover is about 24m2 and I would like to be able to lay tiles on it as soon as possible

Can I put down for example

5cm hardcore
2cm blinding sand
5cm Jabalite insulation
DPM
and then a 5cm screed?

Some people I have spoke to have indicated this would be ok and it is certainly more solid than what was previously there.

Can any one advise me on whether this is acceptable / a recipe for disaster. Or alternatively tell me the proper way to do it..

Kind regards
RealityTested

Sponsored Links
just lay a 100mm trowelled concrete slab as opposed to screed.

it may mean digging a little bit more off or forsaking a little hard core or blinding, but 100mm slab, is a minimum.

Thanks for your reply noseall.

I wonder however if you or someone else could clarify

1) Why to use a concrete slab over screed (I assume it is to do with how strong it is?)

2) What the order / minimum depths are for each layer (ie Hardcore, sand, insulation, DPM and slab?)

3) What Kind of insulation you would recommend

4) Also if a quick drying concrete is used to make the slab would it be possible to lay tiles on it say 3 weeks later?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back