Replacing Rad - help with sizing and tails needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning on replacing the old radiator shown in the pic below and have a couple of dumb newbie questions that I hope you can help me with.

IMG_20210607_074229.jpg

The first is on dimensions. The old rad is 1350mm by 690mm, measured across the radiator panel. The replacement I'm looking at is this one:

https://www.toolstation.com/made4trade-by-kudox-type-21-steel-panel-radiator/p51162

Which is described as 1400 by 600

So my first dumb question is about the width. I don't want to drain down the system or replace the lockshield or TRV and there's not much "wiggle room" on the existing pipes. The replacement is described as 1400mm wide.

Is this dimension the width of the new rad panel, or the width of the pipe centres? (My old rad is 1400 from pipe to pipe.)

Second question is about what tool(s) I need to remove/re-use the existing tails from the old rad. Here's a couple of photos:
IMG_20210607_074243.jpg
IMG_20210607_074259.jpg

Any other tips or advice about "gotchas" and how to get around them appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Go for a smaller radiator than 1400, and get some radiator tail extensions or long radiator tails and cut them down to size, if you do want the 1400 rad then the pipes will need altering

1. The new radiator will almost certainly have the across width pipe centres at the same dimension as the panel width, in your case 1,400 mm.
2. The new radiator will have pipe centres 66 mm from the flat surface to which the brackets are fixed. i.e. the wall.
3. You will need to measure:
3a. The distance from the wall to the centre of the existing radiator's inlets.
3b. The distance between the across the width centres of your existing radiator. Whi9le it is hard to see that point for the non-TRV end, it will be symmetrical with the TRV end, which should be measures from where the tail with the square chrome nut enters the body of the radiator.
4. You are going to have some difficulty getting that radiator off without draining the system. I'd suggest removing the non-TRV end first, which is on a union fitting, then the TRV end, which looks like a compression fitting.
5. To remove the non-TRV end tail you will need a special tool. Screwfix 1147 might do it, but the fittings aren't universal, so you might need a multi-purpose plumbing key.
6. To remove the TRV end tail you will need a suitable spanner for the square chromed nut. An adjustable is probably your best bet.
7. Unless you can get a radiator to exactly match the dimensions of the old, you are going to have to adjust the pipes, which will mean cutting the skirting boards. If you are OK on the distance from the wall, consider getting a narrower (but perhaps taller) radiator and using extension pieces to bring the tails out as required. Don't use telescopic extensions.
8. If I were doing it I'd drain down, replace the radiator and both valves, and adjust one end of the pipework as necessary. You are giving yourself non-trivial complications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back