Dimension of towel rad to replace panel rad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace a panel rad in the bathroom with a towel rad. Can work out the btu ok but unsure about the width I need. Existing pipes as they come out the wall are at 560mm centres and the distance between the valves fitted to the pipes (rad removed) is 520mm. I suspect I need a 550mm wide rad. Is that correct.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have another radiator in the room?

Replacing a panel with a towel will often result in a very cold bathroom, as not only are the outputs significantly reduced (typically) - but people putting towels on them makes for toasty towels but sod all output into the room.

A lot of people, including myself, didn't consider this and ended up adding the original radiator back in another place.

Do you have another radiator in the room?

Replacing a panel with a towel will often result in a very cold bathroom, as not only are the outputs significantly reduced (typically) - but people putting towels on them makes for toasty towels but s** all output into the room.

A lot of people, including myself, didn't consider this and ended up adding the original radiator back in another place.

Would just have the towel rad. Bathroom is very small (about 6' x 7') Appreciate what you are saying about towels taking the heat away but would just have a small hand towel there most of the time unless my girls are here at the weekend as I live alone and use the on-suite all the time.

Sponsored Links
Would just have the towel rad.
In that case you need a big towel rail. What was the size of the rad that was there? Single or double?

Just a single. 600 x 480 House is almost 10 years old if that is a factor.
Also looking for a cheap source for a white towel rad with about 550mm pipe centres for the above.

I don't know 550 wide towel rads, 500 or 600. To match the heat production you need about 1300 x 500 as a minimum if white, a lot bigger if chrome.

I don't know 550 wide towel rads, 500 or 600. To match the heat production you need about 1300 x 500 as a minimum if white, a lot bigger if chrome.

Just noticed that Toolstation do a white 1600 x 550 with 2508btu. Depth wall to front is 85 / 100mm which might be a bit much. £115 so not bad.

That would be about right in terms of effective output as well when you consider the dampening effect of towels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back